• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much grease?

Towman2277

Your right.....in my opinion. I deal with over-the-road trucks everyday, and the sales rep's for lubricant companies tell me to use the grease compatible w/ gear oil. due to bearing wash-out, etc. Now when it comes to the AMOUNT involved in placing in the hub, I do the very-well hand pack of the bearings, then add around 6 more ounces placed within the assembly....BUT I don't gob it up soo much that it cant move and expand with heat and friction. Grease from my understanding? will "thin out" as used and heated up, and when sits, works back into the race and cage, etc, and after "cooling down", with thicken back and hold the lubrication properties it's intended for. Hey, just my 2cents !! Steve

houdel

�Polverone� said:
Oh by the by, The outer bearing on the axle was a Timken 392 and haven't pulled the inner one off yet (stuck). The way JD describes packing the grease in bearings with your palm is the way my dad taught me in the days of my first car. Worked all these years and will do it on the Deuce.
I THINK, but can't say for certain, that the inner bearing number is a 3992. It should be the same number whether you use National, Timken or Federal Mongrol (er, Mogul). The only difference between the inner and outer bearings is the inner bearing has a larger ID to fit over the step on the spindle, the OD is the same on both.

The cups are the same part number inner and outer but I don't know the part number. It would be nice if someone could collect all the commercial part numbers for the wheel bearings and cups, pinion shaft bearings and seals, etc. and post as a TA. I know that the inner and outer wheel seals probably have no civilian part number, but most of the other bearings and seals should have civilian counterparts.

houdel

Thanks Ken, I missed that. Are the Parts X Reference and Member Locator Map new additions?

Re my previous post, does anyone have the part number for the wheel bearing cup? I think if you get the 392 or 3994 bearing, all you get is the cone (or race, if you prefer).

Also, I assume the part numbers for "Seal, wench (1 of 4 required)" refers to the winch, not a wench. I didn't know wenches were required equipment, and don't think I could stand having 4 wenches in my deuce all at once!

jasonjc

The 3994 is the race and the 392 and 3992 are the brearing I belive and 4 wenches are needed only when you run out of fuel and need a push :p
And some one was going to do a TA on the trans I thought with PN's hint hint

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks