• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much have you hauled on your LMTV?

sargentwolf

ive put aprox 1.5 tons in the back of mine on a dump run. truck was so quiet i thought something was broken.

i really wish the data plate said offroad on it for both cap and towing max.....btw, what is the max on-road towing weight?

expeditionnw

The payload caps are crazy. Looking at how this is built compared to my international medium duty (which hauls 15k easily) it seems like this thing could easily handle the 20k that the MV/Ts are rated for.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Dragged it on a metal plate on dirt. There was a thread a while back someone used a 1078 to move a lathe that was around 4000lbs if I remember correctly and he was sitting on the axles.

expeditionnw

Dragged it on a metal plate on dirt. There was a thread a while back someone used a 1078 to move a lathe that was around 4000lbs if I remember correctly and he was sitting on the axles.
Thats crazy. Seems to me this should be able to haul more than my one ton ford.

Last edited:

expeditionnw

Remember, it's built to haul that much weight in off road conditions by soldiers that are rough on gear
That is true. I may change out
springs to better suit my needs. My 1078 ownerrship came from the need for a medium duty that can haul 10-12k, air brakes, and durable on rough road. With the proper springs and gearing, i think this is the ideal truck.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its already geared low for power. They are long springs I think you would be opening up a can of worms messing with the stock springs. It is designed to squat on the axle with weight. If you need to move a few pallets of artillery shells down a dry dirt road this is the truck made for just that.

expeditionnw

I dont move too many pallets of artillary shells, but i do think there is a place for the 1078 in the civ world other than a parade ornament.
Singly, each of the trucks components are rated for insane capacities. Combined and under mil contract, the truck is de-rated. Obviously to keep it together under the extreme conditions it might see on deployment.

The springs and gears were matched for the loads it was intended to carry under those extreme conditions.

My needs dictate a different load under different conditions. Hauling a measly 4k lbs with the truck sitting on the axles is a good way to break stuff. Setting up a progressive spring that rides well enpty, and can keep 10k off the bumps is pretty simple.

sargentwolf

It's built to tow, not be loaded down. I'm going to be towing a bobcat behind mine for disaster relief work and will be way over listed max towing weights. It will not have an issue as you can tow a LMTV behind a LMTV...

Yo dog I heard you like LMTVs...

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The payload caps are crazy. Looking at how this is built compared to my international medium duty (which hauls 15k easily) it seems like this thing could easily handle the 20k that the MV/Ts are rated for.
Beyond weight capacities, it is also important to remember CG. Center of gravity on a truck with a bed this high of the ground is much different than the relatively low-riding civvy haulers. They are set up to run on pavement, while the LMTV and other MV's are capable of both on and off road.

In motion, things are dynamic. Off road, things can get really DYNAMIC.

So, even on-road your typical MV handles loads differently due to a higher CG.

expeditionnw

Absolutely, and this bed is a looong ways up! I am pulling the bed in favor of a conventional flatbed, It should sit 8-10" lower than the dropside bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks