• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much is a good canvas for an M101 worth?

MarcusOReallyus

Thinking about selling my top and bows, as I really have no use for them, and can't for the life of me think of a time when I might. I've got plenty of clutter around the place, and need to lose some of it.

What would be a fair price for a good top with the bows? One bow is broken. It's all there, but the wood is broken. I think one might be cracked.

Ballpark idea?

3dAngus

$150 if no pinholes, tears, and canvas is still fully soft and pliable with no hard or stiff spots on it.
$200 if new
Bows are $10-15 each
I wouldn't pay, nor sell, for anything more, or less. Just my opinion. I've sold a few.

scratch

$150 if no pinholes, tears, and canvas is still fully soft and pliable with no hard or stiff spots on it.
$200 if new
Bows are $10-15 each
I wouldn't pay, nor sell, for anything more, or less. Just my opinion. I've sold a few.
Do you have a link to where I can get a new top for $200? i just picked up my first m101a. The top aint in bad shape but I would like a new one for when I have it painted or line-xed. The top I have now is rubber, is that comman? I thought the tops were canvas.

3dAngus

You won't get it from a retailer for $200 when he has brick and mortar to pay for.
You have to get them from SSers who buy at auction or find other good deals and they buy several. This is the number I've seen, and used, for a couple of years now. About the same for the M105 cover. Some people will ask for $250 and get it, but $200 is an obviously better price and can be had if patient.
Keep your eyes peeled on your favorite auction site or here in the classifieds.
New ones made from retailers cost twice that. Not sure they're worth the value of the trailer that sells for that without them, but they seem to find business.

The newer covers are vinyl covered duck for better rain resistance, but the UV hardens them quickly and they will get brittle over time. If you could put a coat of wax on them once a year, even if from the car wash, it should last a little longer. Same for the rubber rope tie downs. Use some armour all wipes and keep them wiped down. Maintenance is key, and while washing helps, it is not enough by itself for long wear. Mr. Green soap and a soft brush will do wonders to restoring the old canvas to looking like new, but it won't stay there long once it turns and gets mildewed or faded, so you have to go a little further on the older ones.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would agree with all above except it I think the bows are wood. If so, that detracts from the value. Unless they are absolutely NOS wood bows, then it would be better to take the wood off, clean and paint the metal and make 5-10 a piece. Non-NOS wood bows complete? Good luck, kinda like wood deuce side racks---can't give them away.

MarcusOReallyus

Here's what it looks like - what's a fair price?

just as info just sold nos top and bow set complete for 500 sold in ten minits on here top was vinyl type
:shock:

Wow!

Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pics of my cover and see what you folks think it's worth. It has no rips or tears, but the straps are in sad shape. There are a couple of spots on the back that are abraded a bit. Not through, but you can see the fabric is fuzzy in those places (see the circled areas in the pics). Also, there's a spot that looks like it might have been repaired (yellow lines) or maybe it's factory reinforced there? On the top, there are a few places where the vinyl is a bit thin over the fabric. I've got it tossed over my trailer (without the bows) just to get some pictures of it.

Whatcha tink? $150? $200? More? Less?

Attachments

3dAngus

Less. Definitely less. And I would educate the buyer upon the sale, NOT to pull this one around by the ends. If they do, the UV deteriotes the thread, and it will come apart at the threads. If the straps are that gone, so too, are the threads holding it all together, from the top, to the sides.