• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much is this LARC worth?

Flea

If you think a little banter keeps new people away, you should try out Anti-Rice.com. Some things they say to new members would make a Marine blush...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, show yourself to the door! There will be no more Larcasm.
Larcasm...now THAT'S funny!:-D
There were two LARC V's at Barstow that had no drivetrains or engines in them, I think they are the ones Yellowbronc talked about. I looked at them and the hull...body...whatever looked good on them, but when the innards were removed..well, let's just say it coulda been done a bit more surgicaly. I'd say $25 to $30k if they run and the tires are in good shape. It is missing some interior stuff. 2cents

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm not sure where to post this but my older brother works for a shipping company and they have this LARC on their property. They want to know what it could be worth and where would be the best place to sell it. I don't have any details on its mechanical condition.

Thanks,

Mike Pop

I am extraordinarily reluctant to answer questions like this - because I have had a few books published, some people believe that makes me have an "expert opnion" - which some equate with an appraisal - and that is simply not true.

However, as stated in all my books (and a lot of my price guides on various collectibles have been published) - the only value that really matters is that of the buyer and seller.

Since I clearly am not the potential seller - I have to approach this from what I would pay for the item - and there is not enough information presented to assist me in making an offer. I understand you don't know the mechanical condition - so I'll assume it doesn't run. It would be good to know if the powerplant was present (several of these have been processed through DRMO sans engines and/or powertrain components). Where is it located? Its oversize - so transportation would be hugely expensive. When I consider purchasing a vehicle, consider transportation to my door to be an unavoidable part of my purchase expense. I know its 300 mile from you - and I know your GPS coordinates - but not being familiar with GPS coordinates - I'll figure worst case, you are in Washington State - 2300 mies from me. At 3 bucks per mile, I've got almost 7 grand in it by the time it hits my door. A LARC-V, while cool, isn't worth 7 grand to me - so I'd be out.

If, on the other hand, it was in Jackson, TN - one hundred fifty bucks would get it to the house - and I'd probably be willing to pop for a grand for the vehicle itself (again, its cool, but any time I move it will require a permit - that is, its gonna be a darn costly toy to own (isn't everything that goes in the water?) - and its just not worth that much TO ME.

A LARC-V weighs in at 19000 lbs - probably 3000 pounds or so of that is in the powerplant. The hull is aluminum - what is the scrap value of aluminum?

On the other hand, if it is near a body of water, someone can put some elbow grease into making it run and getting it Coast Guard approved, and then put the effort into marketing it to the right commercial user, I suspect it would bring large dollars.

I suspect in South Louisiana on August 29, 2005 a LARC-V in top condition would have brought $150,000. - very much different than the grand it would be worth to me.

Too often people become overwhelmed with the fear that they will have what I call "sellers remorse". (Oh, I could have gotten X dollars more). If the vehicle is being sold for delinquent storage fees - then anything beyond those fees is "found money" if its $500 dollars - great - if its $5000 great. If the owner of the vehicle is wanting to sell it - then he should have a dollar figure in mind. If you are thinking about buying it - what is it worth to you? I look at vehicles as disposable - how many dollars worth of pleasure will I get out of owning it. In the case of a LARC-V - I figured I'd get a thousand dollars worth of fun - in the case of my wrecker - I figured 13 grand. Others have bought wreckers cheaper - but that doesn't dimiinish my pleasure - others may spend more on a LARC-V - but that doesn't mean I "should" enjoy it more - or pay more.

Merry Christmas!

David Doyle

Last edited:

tjcouch

All I know about this thread is that it made me research the history of the craft . . . man, I want one! . . . . One day when I find myself with more money than good sense . . .

To the earlier post about the giant unit with 4 Detroits: is it what's called a BARC?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
All I know about this thread is that it made me research the history of the craft . . . man, I want one! . . . . One day when I find myself with more money than good sense . . .

To the earlier post about the giant unit with 4 Detroits: is it what's called a BARC?

Yep, the BARC - originally known as the LARC-LX. Did an article on those for Classic Military Vehicles earlier this year - the more research I did, the more impressed by the machines I became.

DD

joec

They look really Neat!! Looks like that one has a 903 Cummins IN IT FOR POWER.!!

Price wise wouldn't even have a good guess. The numbers are all over the place. From $1,500 to $190k ....:beer:

dburt

DDoyle said it all, almost! Sometimes folks think that because they have something that is relatively "rare", that makes it worth alot of money. But rare really does not always equate value, unless it is somthing that alot of people want, and have alot of money to spend for it.
Such as ie: some barn find Shelby Cobra, or other rare muscle car. Now it would seem that the Larc, due to it's size, cost to restore and operate and move, and the small market for such a thing would not really equate into a huge demand with lots of folks wanting to throw money at it. I still think the owner's ought to post it on EbayMotors and see what happens. They can always hold a high reserve just to see what the bidding goes to, it is a somewhat cheap way to test the water. (What a pun) The market value "water", that is.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In another thread going on right now, there's a guy with 10 NOS Dana 60 axles, and he seems to think they are worth more that this LARKV may be worth!:oops: It just depends on who you are, what you have or what you want. If you need an insurance appraisal, There are companies that do that too.

madsam

Once again...many thanks to the guys who actually contributed useful information in this thread. And for those of you who don't know me, don't assume that I have no sense of humor. I'll accept your banter once you get to know me and will give it back when appropriate. When seeking information, I don't find the sarcasm appropriate or useful. The sarcasm and banter is what really pushes newbies away from this site. It's a shame. This really is a great site with a wealth of information.
You are right, I don't know you.

But as for me I do not think jokes are what drive people away. I think that some one being overly harsh, like in this case or like about some one asking the same question others have is more of an issue that drives people away. It makes new people feel less comfortable to say anything because they are afraid to get jumped on. I would be less likely to stay on a board where people jump on me for things than a board where people joke around. Now the jokes should not be mean spirited where people get their feelings hurt, but I do not see that here.

You are welcome to disagree with me. It is a free country. And so far a free forum.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to stick my neck out here. I do know Mike, and what I have just read is not typical. IMHO, for someone who likes to buy and sell military stuff, there can be a fine line between jest and an attempt by a tire-kicker to wear down the seller. Could it be the former could have been misinterpreted as the latter? Obviously the comment was made in jest considering the considerable range between expected price, and the offer. Early in the conversation that might not have been quite so obvious.

I am one of the group who enjoys the banter that gets going between some 'characters'. Sure would be boring without it.

My wife has been asking for "something to tow to the lake behind my FJ Cruiser to fish out of". She didn't particularly think I was very funny either, when I showed her the LARC!

Bob

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife has been asking for "something to tow to the lake behind my FJ Cruiser to fish out of". She didn't particularly think I was very funny either, when I showed her the LARC!

Maybe she would like a nice Gamma Goat instead. Best hunting and fishing MV out there!

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As one with more than a little experience with the LARC-V, or 5 ton amphibious truck, as this one is, it has some value. We currnetly have one we are working on, and parts are VERY DEAR. The two on the GOVDEALS.ORG site were ex-TVA units and sold for just a few thousand for the pair. The avarage going price for a LARC-V complete, running or not is 6 to 11 thousand. Those inflated prices are for the LARC 15's and the BARC's. Real monsters, in that they are impossible to transport readily. Most were sunk off Viet Nam by gunfire to 'get rid of them'
The LARC V is easily truck transportable, any normal lowboy and tractor can haul them. We use a standard cab and twin axle lowboy to haul this one. The Navy has about a hundred yet in 'mothballs', about 40 are being given a SLEP, (service life extension) with new controls, engines etc. The Seabee marine construction teams each are issued one, while the BMU's (Beachmaster Units) are issued two. The rest are used on the maritime prepositioned fleet for across the beach ops. The ones the Navy doesn't rebuild will eventually be sold for surplus (possible just scrapped due to aluminum price and the NEW admin's dislike for letting us have things THEY feel could hurt them... Just another Clinton retread idea.) For a unit built in the 60's they are doing well. I qualified on them in 1968 in the Navy, and had access to them until 1998. They are fun, expensive to maintain, don't do well in mud, (no directional tread) and are NOT fast, on water or terra firma. Almost impossible to sink. Will float with only the tires holding her up. But far better than the "GOAT". The LARC-V can traverse steep grades, land and launch through heavy surf, (if the coxswain has the pucker for it. about a 10 and 1/2 on a scale of 1 to 10.)
Miami Beach Fire had one they got from NASA, what a machine, turbine pump, and they even polished the hull. Most of the old ones were dull aluminum, painted flat O.D., and now a desert tan. Pat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks