• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much leakage on a Deuce

notso

Just got a '35A2 andnhave a couple of questions on some possible leaks on the truck.

There appears to be a slight leak on the passengers side near the center of the engine block from behind the exhaust manifold.

There also appears to be a very small leak on the drivers side under the filters mounted in the middle of the engine.

Niether one seems to be major, and both seem to be oil, not fuel. The passengers side may be from a hose I think, but I cant get my head craned around to check.

The engine oil is still at full, and I will monitor the level. There only is a drop or two that actually made it to the ground but I guess this is considered a class 3 leak?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I am still working through the -20 and -30 TMs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with it. Could be a head gasket but it sounds minor. Deuces leak, thats a fact! Glad to see you working the manuals.

HeadWizard

If you REALLY want to find the leak...

1- Clean (degrease) the engine.
2- Go to a parts store and buy enough ultraviolet oil dye to treat 5 gallons of engine oil.
3- Add dye to oil.
4- Run engine / drive for a while.
5- Use a UV light (black light) and a pair of UV or yellow goggles and find the glowing spots on your engine.

Never fails.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like the slobber tube on the pass side, normal. The cans in the middle of the motor are oil filter housings. Recheck to make sure they are torqued right, don't let the can spin!It could also be a fuel leak from the IP. Let us know.

notso

Holy crap a newb reading a tech manual, please ask away.
I would not worry unless its a major leak, anything more than a few drips
Hey, engineering school quickly teaches you that the best place to find the answer is the manual.

But you never look until something goes wrong ;-)

Flea

I get a little weepage around the front of the block on mine, about like what you described. I've always made sure the oil doesn't have any coolant in it (never has), and the coolant never has any oil. No pressure in the coolant system beyond what's normal, so I know it's not a blown head gasket... I probably wouldn't sweat it too much.

DanMartin

My engine didn't have a tube on the slobber opening...this caused oil to get blown all over the place from the fan. I bought I think 2' of tubing (2" IIRC) at the local NAPA and clamped it to the slobber opening...this directed the oily goo down past the engine compartment and down by the front axle....no more oily mess on that side of the engine!

Now...the *other* side has a leak somewhere near the compressor....I'll be doing the UV dye trick in the spring to find that one. I think it's the compressor or the injector pump. Note that this leak is on a crate motor with like 500 miles on it. :roll: (not a major leak...but still drives me batty).

These are old-tech trucks...they leak. If it's not leaving a puddle when you park it, I wouldn't worry about it too much...just keep the levels up and watch the leak. If you really must fix it (like me) the dye trick is great. You can get all the stuff from this company: http://www.tracerline.com/ .

z28young

After I had my Deuce for about a week it barfed up about two gallons of oil on the driveway. Well after degreasing the engine I fired it back up, and I could see the head gasket is blown and it is bleeding to death from the front of the engine between block and head. The oil is spraying out the front straight into the fan. I had to shut her down quick oil was flying everywhere. Well it looks like I will be doing a head gasket sooner that I would have hoped for.

70deuce

These trucks are indeed like old aircraft radial engines and old Harleys, if they aren't leaking somewhere, I'd be worried. Some lucky few don't have that problem. A couple of club trucks are dry everywhere. Not mine.