• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much paint?

mdemars03

I have the paint color I want. I used a thread from here and got a sample of the 33446 tan and it looks good. I have a M52A2 tractor that I want to paint both inside and out. About how many gallons should I need to completely paint it? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used about 1.5 gallons to paint my M929 but did not do the inside of the cab. I sprayed the exterior and rolled the inside of the bed and cab guard. The Behr covers well and is easy to work with.

mdemars03

Thanks. Thinking about spraying both interior and exterior. I have a wagner sprayer for painting the house so I may see how well that does. If it doesn't look good that way I will.probably head to Harbor Freight and get one of their HVLP gravity fees guns.

zout

Be careful with reducing a tad bit because your using water and not evaporating chemicals - it takes longer to dry and "flash off" than normal chemical based paints. If you jump up a notch and get the Behr in Marquee it will be better because dirt and dust has a difficult time sticking to the surface - sprays the same.

Pop up some pictures of Before & after on your thread if you would - looking forward to seeing your project.

mdemars03

Thanks for the advice on the Marquee. I will definitly keep that in mind when I go buy the gallons. I will definitly get some before and after pics as I get it painted. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough in the next week or two that I can get it painted.

infidel got me

Thanks for the advice on the Marquee. I will definitly keep that in mind when I go buy the gallons. I will definitly get some before and after pics as I get it painted. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough in the next week or two that I can get it painted.
We painted my friends 923 a month ago.The mix we used was 60% paint 40% water.The marquee paint is really easy to work with.I would use a h.freight spray gun ,the electric sprayers splatter sometimes.Start in the bed till you see how the paint flows[really thin]runs easy.Purchased 3 gallons,used 2 1/4-3 coats of paint including inside of bed.A member said he used distilled water-don't know if it maters.I hope to paint mine next week.Good luck,you should be happy with end result.
WILL

mdemars03

From what everyone is saying I will definitly go with the Marquee. I figured since I have it I will give the sprayer a try with the paint thinned out some. If it doesnt work and splatters I will just wipe or sand it back down smooth and get the HVLP gun. My issue with a test spot is everything will be seen. It's a tractor so I have no bed to test in first. That's ok though... if I don't like it I can always sand and repaint. Worst case scenario is just use a brush and a roller. Nothing wrong with that.

zout

Absolutely nothing wrong with that - its your truck Bro.

If you look at Infedel's location and yours - you'll notice you fellas have a better shooting location than most of us - although Ga is target friendly it still has it dreary days where the water does not dry off quickly and will fool you - next thing you know its all running like crazy - so just a heed for WIW - for a gallon up here I used less than a half a cup of water to thin it down a bit - but I also used 1.5 & 1.8 tips on my HVLP guns as well so it would pass though easily.

I am sure you already know this so I may be preaching to the choir - but shoot the first coat just enough to get color on it - you can always add more to get the coating and thickness you desire - just take your time and you'll never go back to chemical paints on MV's after shooting Behr - it took some hesitation on my part - but as they say "what your not UP on - your down on" - I was never down on it - I just never conceived a house hold paint to do what this does - but once I tried it for myself and got it honed down I love it.

Get the picks coming on whatever option you use and whatever spray or brush or roller technique you use - would like to see it. TAKE YOUR TIME.

infidel got me

Zout sir you are correct it was hotter than a two dollar pistol the day we shot that truck,about 87 high humidity no breeze.I will also post pictures of my paint job.Im wating to get Thanksgiving out of the way and just before Christmas light duty.OH BOY HA HA

mdemars03

20141110_155809.jpg20141110_155813.jpg20141110_155817.jpg20141028_183202.jpg

Here are a few before pics. I will add some more before I start painting it. Got the seats out and cleaned up and just some of the surface rust spots sanded and cleaned up. Just need to get the time off work to start spraying paint.

mdemars03

Sorry, my "4" answer was based on milspec CARC. I'm glad others chimed in with more relevant info.

I watch with interest.
That's ok. I didn't even know where to start on quantity when I started this thread. Regardless of how much i buy If I end up with extra I'm sure I can use it somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks