• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much single phase 120/240 can I get out of a MEP-006A? Also load bank.

Ken_86gt

You can get 44kw @ 110% by reconfiguring the reconnection board to a zig zag this will give you 183 amps and your genset will not run unbalanced. I have 4 gensets running town buildings in this manner. If you wuold like more info you can pm me .
Here is an article that shows how to convert your generator.

AnOldMan.com - Re-wiring a three phase generator

Since you will be able to run your gen at 10% over without rewiring anything, the real advantage to doing this mod (to me) is that you will now be able to get 120/240 output instead of 120/208. The diadvantage, to me, is that it is not a quick change over back to 3-phase. In my case I need to be able to utilize 3-phase for back up power to my store. It is acceptable to me to utilize 40KW 120/208 for residential backup, my 220V appliances are rated for 208/240 operation and will will run just fine at 208V. You do not gain much KW by switching the configuration to zig-zag. My opinion is that the "imbalance" that people talk about when running a 3-phase gen as a 120/208 single phase is overrated, but to each his own.

pvtjorge

How about this model generator.
Can it be configured to run some appliances in my home like the central air conditioner, water heater, and stove top element. I realize this stuff
pulls a lot of current especially when they are all on at the same time.
I wouldn’t run them all at the same time. A/C pulls around
12-15 amps. I would like to have one for backup in hurricane season.
Especially for running the A/C unit.

1989 Libby Generator Set, diesel engine.
AC current. AC wattage rating: 10.0 kilowatts,
mdl: MEP-003A, sn: 61555.

Frequency rating: 60.0 hertz.
Phase: Single/three.
Line to line voltage in volts: 120.0 and 208.0 and 240.0.
Line to neutral voltage in volts: 120.0.
Power factor in percent: 80.0.

Excitor type: Self-excited.

Ambient temperature in degrees Celsius: -31.7 and 51.7.
Temperature rise rating in degrees Celsius for
continuous operation: 100.0. Prime mover
cooling medium: Air. Prime mover starting
method: Electric motor. Cranking voltage in
volts: 24.0. Mounting type: Skid shock.
Radio interference suppression included.
Housing type inclosed.
Inclosure type: Fully inclosed.
Maximum weight capacity: 1100.000,
dimension: 62" x 32" x 37".

Last edited:

wassbiplane

I give up !! I've posted here before, but I cAN'T FIGGER OUT HOW TO DO IT NOW.
What is the best procedure to adjust the mechanical governor on the 4a032 engine
( in order to minimize the RPM drop from 0 to max load ??) my engine is used somewhat
but I have several new governor bodies---should I start with one of them?? Jerry

Bighurt

Also, if I wanted to run "the house" from it, I could run some of the 240v loads, like the kitchen range and the air conditioner, off of the "other" leg?

In any case, I am very interested to get the answer to my first question on how much 120/240 power it can make.
A lot of good info in this thread.

I just wanted to ask if your appliances actually need 240 and if so can you even draw that off the grid.

We typically refer to appliances as 120 and 240 however when you account for voltage drop and dirty power your lucky to get 110 and 220. I haven't tested my drop in awhile, but I know for a fact I have between 116 and 119 volts on all my small circuits.

I only mention this as 208 may actually be enough for the appliances in question.

Cheers

rat4spd

How about this model generator.
Can it be configured to run some appliances in my home like the central air conditioner, water heater, and stove top element. I realize this stuff
pulls a lot of current especially when they are all on at the same time.
I wouldn’t run them all at the same time. A/C pulls around
12-15 amps. I would like to have one for backup in hurricane season.
Especially for running the A/C unit.

MEP-003A
That model, which a number of us have has a selector switch to run 3phase, single phase 120, or single phase 120/240. It will run your house, your neighbors house, and probably another one.

Seriously. I had my central air, three fridge/freezers, two window air units, a two 2ton a/c unit in my shop, 1600W of lights on in my shop plus a few lights in my house, and it cycled from 25-55%.

There are plenty of threads on the 002/3.

We typically refer to appliances as 120 and 240 however when you account for voltage drop and dirty power your lucky to get 110 and 220. I haven't tested my drop in awhile, but I know for a fact I have between 116 and 119 volts on all my small circuits.
If I had 110/220, I'd be calling the POCO. That's BS (on their part).

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an article that shows how to convert your generator.

AnOldMan.com - Re-wiring a three phase generator

Since you will be able to run your gen at 10% over without rewiring anything, the real advantage to doing this mod (to me) is that you will now be able to get 120/240 output instead of 120/208. The diadvantage, to me, is that it is not a quick change over back to 3-phase. In my case I need to be able to utilize 3-phase for back up power to my store. It is acceptable to me to utilize 40KW 120/208 for residential backup, my 220V appliances are rated for 208/240 operation and will will run just fine at 208V. You do not gain much KW by switching the configuration to zig-zag. My opinion is that the "imbalance" that people talk about when running a 3-phase gen as a 120/208 single phase is overrated, but to each his own.
Yes, Thank you for posting this article. This question has been posted several times. Can I rewire my generator for single phase power?

I have seen reference to the "zig zag" configuration, and read a little about it, but since I don't have one of the larger generators to play around with, I never delved farther into it. We have also had several members saying they had done this before, and we have asked them to show us, but you are the first one to step up to the plate and show a physical example of how it is done and how it works. Thank you for that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks