• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how much snow have you driven through

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put 5 tons in the back of the 5 ton and you will most likely go anywhere as long as there is hard ground under the snow

mangus580

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think you'd be fine with some weight as Kenny says. It sounds like the trails are fairly tight. With all that said...you get your truck stuck way back in there...there is going to be nobody without a D7 who could pull you out!

RIZZO: I prefer your screen name on the other site! :D

SasquatchSanta

Last winter I helped my neighbor replace a broken blade on his windmill. I don’t know exactly how deep the snow was but we backed Rosie right up to the windmill head. We stood on the tail gate and changed the blade.

It was “windy” up there. :)

rizzo

citizensoldier said:
Add some chains some weight and you will be very hard to stop.. You have a winch dont you? Let er RIP!
I think I will buy some chains over the summer for 1600's. come this time next week i may have 3 trucks with 1600's instead of 2.

I have winches too, I just have to install them,

rizzo

Bruce, I would be relying on a my winch and snatch blocks (and other tricks and tools) to get me out. Hopefully soon I will also have a 5 ton w/winch tow/recovery vehicle.

offroaddiesel

no fun getting stuck and cant winch yourself out.done it before and never again, we go out in the backwoods in the powerwagon thru somw deep snow with chains, get caught up on your frame and you arent going anywhere,i never go in the woods in deep snow without a winch.. up here who you going to get you out , steve

rizzo

offroaddiesel said:
no fun getting stuck and cant winch yourself out.done it before and never again, we go out in the backwoods in the powerwagon thru somw deep snow with chains, get caught up on your frame and you arent going anywhere,i never go in the woods in deep snow without a winch.. up here who you going to get you out , steve

I was gonna bring one of these. so I should be ok

http://www.towbox.com/

emr

AIR DOWN!!!! And they are AWESOME!!! I took the 813 in the woods a few times the first times in the last few years, i sawzalled the smoke stack even with the tops of the mirrors, i have to say the 800 is one awesome rig in the woods, i was climbing hills and doing K turns and going back down like nothing on some really steep slopes, muddy, and in a 22inch snow a couple of years ago, I took the cckw with deuls on the front out, man that was fun , but ran into a HP problem thru the big banks on sides of roads, so we went for the M35 deuce ,tops off of course well what an awesome adventure to drive a multi right after a cckw, DEUCES rule!!that diesel is where its at when 4 bying, and of course airing down tires is the key to it all, i went to 3 parking lots where guys i know plow and the piles were huge, well we just flattened em all, just alot of NDT tread pats left were we went...for the 800 the gearing on that truck just seams to me to be absolutly perfect for the truck itself, its climbing ability is outstanding. ...Randy

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going through some snow is one thing, but your really quite vulnerable on a side hill, without chains. You will just slide sideways &nd the "pucker factor" increases when the slope increases in the direction that your sliding.

It doesn't take much of a wind blown drift, to stop a truck. When you do get stopped, its usually with a combination of being "high centered", It gets to be a lot of work to put on the chains, and marginal, if you can get out by yourself. Here, where it gets cold, "disturbed snow" will set up hard, like concrete, in a few hours, so you need to get it out. Best to just put chains on at the get-go. You need them all around too- three railers. Singles, on duals, are worthless at crunch time! Frozen ground is tougher to deal with, then when its still thawed.

Lee in Alaska

bnbrown

dual chains I am assuming he means by that, they have three chains that run parallel with the frame of the truck. Use them on my pickups, tried using singles on a dual wheel, almost pointless, the dual chains make a world of difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks