• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much to replace the motor in 6.5 Turbo H1 - Bad #8 cyclinder

Danny7478

All,

I am looking to buy a 1998 Hummer H1 with 33,000 miles. The #8 cylinder is cracked, which was a very common problem in the earlier H1's with the 6.5 Turbo and non-heavy duty block.

Any idea how much money for a reputable mechanic to replace and install with a new or rebuilt 6.5 motor? I can get the H1 at a reasonable price, so I just need a ball park figure on how much money for a replacement 6.5 block and installation. A mechanic who was not familiar with the H1's started to tear it down before he realized he was in over his head.

Any good H1 mechanics in the Pennsylvania region someone could recommend?

See pic.
6.5Turbo.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!

Danny Sottile
1985 M998

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have access to take out 6.5 Optimizer motors. Most are very low mileage. This will most likely be a better and less expensive route than a rebuild. PM me for more info.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I am looking to buy a 1998 Hummer H1 with 33,000 miles. The #8 cylinder is cracked, which was a very common problem in the earlier H1's with the 6.5 Turbo and non-heavy duty block.

Any idea how much money for a reputable mechanic to replace and install with a new or rebuilt 6.5 motor? I can get the H1 at a reasonable price, so I just need a ball park figure on how much money for a replacement 6.5 block and installation. A mechanic who was not familiar with the H1's started to tear it down before he realized he was in over his head.

See pic.
View attachment 613127

Thanks for the help!!!

Danny Sottile
1985 M998

i charge 5k labor for this replacement, customer supplies motor...that can run from 5-10k.
i can tell you that done right, your talking an additional 1k in various items like hoses, clamps, new sensors...it just All depends how much of a mess the previous mechanic made. I highly suggest you find a shop that has done H1 work...I redo people's work weekly on these trucks.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

See pic.
View attachment 613127

Thanks for the help!!!

Danny Sottile
1985 M998
Where in PA are you located?

I bought a brand new 6.5 long block in the crate off the net for $3k last year. Shop around as there are a few companies selling brand new motors in the $5500 range on the net.

http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/p178_brand_new_6.5_longblock_diesel_engine.html

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Teds trucks in Bama has the optimizer take outs for 3k. Lots of guys on the diesel place have been very happy with them.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SSDiesel Supply is located in the Buffalo NY area , let me know and I will check it out for you . I am just down the block from there . SS supply has been around for a while .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks