• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much trailer behind a M880?

Blythewoodjoe

I am wondering what you guys think of pulling a trailer with a Dodge M880 (886 in my case). I don't care about what the manual says it will pull, I want to know what you guys think about a 34 year old truck with the original auto trans pulling a trailer several hours at highway speed. I am always a little hesitant to put a load on an old dodge, but I have no experience with these transmissions. I grew up driving 3/4 ton dodges but we had 4 speed manuals in everyone of them and they were bullet proof. I want to pull a trailer to the Georgia rally but I don't want to over do the old truck and end up on the side of the road.

Your thought are wanted,
Joe

Elwenil

If the 727 is healthy, it will easily take more than the engine has power to pull. It's the same basic transmission used behind the 426 Hemi, 440 SixPak and other very powerful engines. As long as it has a cooler to keep the temps down I wouldn't worry about it. Now the little 318, stock brakes and other odds and ends may be another story, lol.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to pull a triple axle bumper pull trailer with my D-3 Cat dozer on it. Tractor was 13,000. Kept it under 40 mph to keep the brake calipers from overheating.

goodbrewing

I have an 886 that has towed a couple other 886s and many other vehicles and materials on trailers thousands of problem free miles. They were built to work so don't baby them. But that's just my opinion.

Blythewoodjoe

Well I'm now confident enough to do something foolish. I rarely need encouragement for that. If you see a fast moving ambulance on the back roads of Georgia in a few weeks, get out of the way :driver:.

busbart

is there somebody who can supply the max. cgvw for a m-880 in print?
i'm recherching this for passing a title test (immatriculation) in europe.

Thanks in advance.

bart

Elwenil

I'm pretty sure the TM does not list the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, only the GVWR. We have been discussing this same topic over on RCC and have yet to come up with a definite spec. The best we have done is using '70s Dodge Owner's Manuals that give an odd way of looking at it by stating that the trailer weight should not exceed 75% of the approximate loaded truck weight. No other factory spec has been found. The same thing is stated int he Owner's Manual at least up to '81. My '84 OM listed a rating of 5,000 lbs for 318 powered trucks and 7,000 lbs for 360 powered trucks. My '88 OM is the only one that lists any sort of spec for the different classes of trucks. Pic below:

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss247/Elwenil/Misc Mopar/1205100023.jpg

Attachments

busbart

OH MY GOD,,, I guess that all has to do with the liability and i'll see you in court habit of certain americans:deadhorse: (no offence!) That's a pity, i'd like to see that Dodge had a valid listing of all real values for towing concidering engine trans axle packages over the years, so that when you had to pass an inspection, the inspectors could take a look at that list and fill in the documents without an ill feeling in their stumach!

And not as they do now, well, letús be at the safe side, and let's say they can tow EEuuhhh, wel 250# behind a w-350rofl at least nobody will sew us...

I'm sorry, just got a bit sauer after all my recherche.
though i wonder how it is possible then that people are at the legal side of law when they tow their 5th wheels to the lakes or so to have their holidays???

I did read about somebody who got advised by his campercompagny or something, is that possible? (i do not know how exactly that works at your side of the ocean?!?)

despite my comment, i really like the advise you give! Thanks again, and continue please!

Bart

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to pull a triple axle bumper pull trailer with my D-3 Cat dozer on it. Tractor was 13,000. Kept it under 40 mph to keep the brake calipers from overheating.
just because it will do it dosen't mean it is safe

Sephirothq

OK very important questions that were not address. 1. how much does the trailer and the load on it weight. total weight towed? 2. does the trailer have brakes 3. will the trailer be overloaded? 4. what type of hitch are you going to be using? answer the above and maybe you can get an intelligent answer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks