• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much work is a

Akicita

I think your "friend" may be more interested in selling you some other car or truck than a Deuce.

I am not a mechanic and not even what you might call a tinkerer but I have been able to follow the instructions in the manuals and do some repair work myself.

My latest job was replacing the original primary fuel filter with a spin-on conversion. (pictures)

Attachments

Parker2

I have had my Duece for probably 8 years and it has only broke down once. Granted I don't use it much (only for work) but when I need it it has been reliable. The time it broke down I fixed it myself for $100.00.
Cause of breakdown was a very diry fuel tank full of fungus and me not changing filters. I learned my leason. You can find parts very easily, but you cant get them at autozone.

beachbummer

Guys

i am not a diesel mechanic, nor an auto mechanic. I do know what i'm doing under the hood though. I thought he was off the wall also. He does run a diesel garage, and it not use to nor does he know all the parts sources for deuces. I am not afraid to get dirty, and I was kinda looking at this as a project. I will be looking for a truck that has had some matence already done though. I have my eye on 1 in the classideds now.

ctmustang

The guy may just be an a--hole with a bad attitude and is afraid if you buy one you'll want him to help you work on it. Nothing to it. Most things in life are a learning experience.
CT

gunboy1656

I will pass the info on I was given years ago......

These vehicles were designed to be driven and repaired by 18 year olds who had no driving or mechanical skills. If they can figure it out so can you.

Unforgiven

Because of all the rock crawlers & monster trucks using Rockwell axles, the parts are actually MORE available as far as axles, bearings, seals, etc. They even have ARB air lockers & custom geared ring&pinions out there.

It has a divorced transfer case. That means tranny/engine swaps are a little easier than in, say, a Jeep requiring custom TC/tranny shafts in limited space. As these trucks age that means a power train transplant is more & more of an option. They'll be around for a long time.

You've already decided to buy one. Just do it already.

Trails

Near the end of a 2500 mile road trip, my deuce developed a fuel leak. Something like that would cripple a lesser vehicle, but I fixed it at a gas station with electrical tape and completed my journey. When I got home, I fixed it properly with $15.00 worth of stuff from Home Depot. Modern equipment is built with proprietary components, making it difficult to fix on the road. The deuce is built with parts that have been standardized for decades. Things like compression fittings don't change.

Varyag

I have put between 5 and 6000 miles on mine in a year. Only thing I have done to it is 2 oil changes and oil filters. Even that is really easy.

It is a dern good truck. My whole family loves mine.

deathrowdave

These trucks were designed to be serviced and maintained by teen aged kids , in the worst of conditions . Don't be afraid to purchase one they are great. The only thing that I have noticed about the parts is that there are junk after market parts out there . (Axle Boots) Just be careful about the purchases you need to make and discuss on here before purchasing and you can't go wrong. :smile:

Jake0147

i spoke with a fried who owns a diesel mechanic shop. He does the work for a local car lot that buys and sales deuces. I told him i was thinking of buying a deuce. He asked me if I was crazy. He said you always work on them, and the government will not let you get some parts for them. I have not herd of this. I do understand they require work, but from his standpoint they are not worth owning. SO whats up? How much do they break down, and also he said when they do break they really cost a ton of money to fix. Lets here your horror stories about deuces breaking, and the repair bills. Mind you most of the work will be done by me!

If my boss told me i HAD to drive a deuce on the street to complete my job, I'd probably quit.
Because that's not the case, it's not work, it is just fun, and I "get to" drive my deuce when ever I want, I tend to want to drive it. I only know from word of mouth, but I have been told that it's easier to get used and reproduction new parts through civilian channels than it was for some of the military mechanics to get what they needed through the military channels. I suspect that your mechanic had some kind of experience with them, and/or heard some bad stories about them.

Deuces are big, old, slow, loud, cumbersome lumbering hulks of steel. Almost archaic by modern standards. If that sounds like a good idea to you, but that does not suit his fancy... Well then my suggestion is that he should not get one, because he will be dissapointed.

emr

by far one of the longest production runs ever and one of the most reliable vehicles ever built also, there are so many being sold and so many still coming thru the system for years to come, they are plenty full and parts are plenty full also, he really is clueless.... the parts can be dirt cheap if u are lucky enough to be near a bigger club that has good size shows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks