• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much would you tow with this?

ajsmith184

Buddy welded on a receiver, and custom bent the bracket which is also welded under the pintle and at each end...Think it would hold up enough to tow my 2200lb boat?

Attachments

hwcurtice

Not as much as I would like. It would have been better if it was connected to the frame itself, not just the bumper.

At least from what I can tell.

6x6TRex

What does the other end of the receiver tube look like? Is it welded to anything?

I'll try to get a pic of it but the hitch on my '72 K20 is similar. Welded and braced to the bumper, then braced back to the frame

gungearz

I wouldn't trust it.... Its not DOT approved and has never been tested for strength. If a state cop notices it, it can get you in trouble. Most certified trailer hitches on the market go thru a certain degree of testing before they hit the market. So they can protect lives of innocent people from irresponsibility of other peoples mistakes.

lindyp38

I would just put a lunette on the boat. Though the Pintle is only bolted to bumper. Its a crap shoot. I would see how it does. Just dont try to do a super fast stop.
how would that work...?

i was interested in getting a flatbed trailer....for use with my m1008. would a trailer place be able to do that .....?

thanks

robert c neth

Banned
if it was so unsafe they wouldnt sell those recievers seperately.if done correctly those will tow 10,000 lbs and if you dont trust your buddys welding why did you have him help you?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd tow a M416 trailer with confidence. Maybe a M101 3/4-ton trailer but not too much weight. However, since it was welded to the bumper only, you're not going to set any tow records with that thing. Go Class III hitch, and SOON.

ajsmith184

I trust his welding, I am just not sure about what it's welded to. I originally had him do it because 1-2 times a year I might rent a small uhaul utility trailer to do yardwork etc....Then I just got this 18' boat...Spec says 2200 lbs on the trailer...And was curious if the bumper is strong enough. To be honest the lake is less than 5 miles away...No highway towing...

Im thinking I might do it, slowly and carefully. :doghead:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only trust my pintle to tow my M416. I had a Class III bead installed by professionals to tow my 18 ft car hauler. Take your truck to a reputable hitch installer. The price of a trailer hitch is minimal compared to the cost of an expensive ticket/trip to the hospital due to a wreck/lawyer's fees due to the trailer separating and causing a wreck and injuring someone else. It's just not worth the risk, even for the short distance you plan on hauling the boat. Please be safe.

My 2cents

Welder Sam

in all seriousness, the bumper pull ball is how most towing was done once upon a time. before the days of the reciever hitch. the welds look good. the design is average. the thing to remember, even once you find out the bumpers weight rating, is that the receiver moves the ball away from the bumper thus increasing the load on the hitch exponentially. for light loads on even terrain, this should do the trick. for your boat, id think twice. probably more and find a different tow rig. if you want a lunette for your trailers, northern tool sells them online. the ones i like are vertically adjustable to tailor the hitch height better. similar to an m105a3.

kassim503

How come nobody suggested a pintle/ball combo hitch yet?

I would attempt to weld something to the back of the hitch coupler for better tongue weight capacity.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC the typical trailer weight rating for a pickup step bumper is 3500 lbs.
as well as most other bumper hitches ( pre- 5mph crash bumpers)

If the welds are good I can't see an issue with towing a 2200 lb boat.
but I don't know what the vehicle is you have it on here.
If it's a M1009 I'd add a support to the frame
If it was mine, I would have a Curt frame hitch on it (like all my trucks have)

ajsmith184

Appreciate the responses here fellas...FWIW it is an M1009...I went ahead and used it on the 4th to tow about 4 miles to the local lake...Worked great. I think Ill take it easy this year, as the boat is new as well and I am not going far...And this winter Ill put a better hitch on. Again, thanks for the info and opinions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks