• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How NOT to drive a HMMWV.

alphaseventwo

I don't know how many of you here have seen this video- but for those of you who haven't- let this serve as a visual reference of -How Not To Drive Your Newly Acquired HMMWV! If you need example after example of when to use the brake-throttle-modulation technique, here they are. I couldn't make it through this whole video, and if you can't either- just FF to 20:00 or so and watch this kid break his front right half-shaft (who didn't see that coming). I feel like the driver is giving hmmwv's a bad name here. I will say it looks like a lot of fun wherever they are- just wish that the trucks full potential was being utilized. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJ3C9RPuM8

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those wheels are much too wide. The fronts kept binding up and hitting the hood. I can almost guarantee that the drivetrain had additional stress as a result. I think the driver would've been in much better shape if he'd have followed the existing trail rather than breaking new trail.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if God gave him the ability to think, doesn't mean he's capable of using his mind in the right way.

NormB

Silent movie?

I just put on the gold-pressing of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and the broken half-shaft synchs up with “Money.”

Go figure.

:whistle:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to see a humvee being used for an off-road vehicle!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you take your vehicle into those conditions you better have your cell phone (if it will have a signal) and credit card ready! Interesting to watch as long as it is not my vehicle.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not ready to call him an idiot just yet...

Nobody has ever taught the poor guy, obviously. 20 minutes of instruction would vastly improve performance and prevent equipment damage.

This is how we get those myths of how a hmmwv is no good offroad and easily outperformed by a [insert vehicle of choice here]

snowtrac nome

Good point, some folks like to insert some of my vehicles sometimes because, I know my machines and their capability's so well, I can generally push a any vehicle much farther than other people on account of the fact I understand the machinery. sometimes folks see where I take my rigs and think they're super vehicles, they're not they are just driven by a good operator. The capabilities of a hmmwv in stock form are impressive, for a vehicle that comes off an assembly line with no additional modifications. At the end of the day its up to a skilled operator to make it really preform.

jeffy777

My two cents:
* He is lucky that is all he broke.
* All off road excursions can break stuff.
* Why he took off or had no hood radiator guard I do not understand. He had a good chance of not having a way out of the woods.
* He need to take some air out of those nice tires. He would have done better.
* I think he could have chosen better lines on stuff.
* I hope he had fun.
* HMMWV's are can do vehicles.

Duster06

As a new m998 owner and someone getting into off roading, I don't see anything that he is doing wrong. Clearly just a highlight of my inexperience. Was it just that he was using oversized tires? Can someone please give me some insight so that I don't make the same mistake?

DatGuyC

When you have one wheel in the air you want to apply slight brake pressure before the gas, this locks the differential so both wheels turn. You also never want to slam on the brakes when you have a free spinning wheel. This puts a huge load on the half shafts and they can shatter when they try to suddenly stop the huge mass of the spinning tire.

Wire Fox

As a new m998 owner and someone getting into off roading, I don't see anything that he is doing wrong. Clearly just a highlight of my inexperience. Was it just that he was using oversized tires? Can someone please give me some insight so that I don't make the same mistake?
I didn't watch the video in any great length to make for anything like a thorough analysis, but the two things I've heard people gripe about the most in response is the tire size is too large, causing them to strike the hood at times (and this will also throw off your speedometer), and what appears to be the lack of usage of brake-throttle-modulation (BTM). BTM is tricky for someone just learning, but it proves itself as necessary for the style of differentials used in the HMMWV (Torsen Differentials).

When the transfer case is placed into either of its "locked" positions, this only locks the transfer case to give 50% power to the front and 50% power to rear. The front and rear both have their own torsen differential, allowing each pair of wheels to rotate at different speeds-not a slip limiter, but as a torque biaser (tries to deliver more torque to the wheel with the most traction); however, if the speed of the wheel with traction loss goes significantly beyond that of the wheel with traction, the torque bias will be lost and all the power will dump into the free-spinning wheel. Therefor, we apply the brake prior to losing traction in order to prevent this free-spinning action. I don't personally have the wheeling experience to back this up, but I believe the preferred methodology would be to firmly press the brake, apply throttle to an appropriate amount, and then gradually release the brake while maintaining the throttle until you're rolling with just enough drag to prevent the wheels from spinning excessively.

An important caveat-which is what was observed in this video-is to never apply the brake to stop a wheel that is already free-spinning. A 37" HMMWV wheel with a runflat installed weights around 150 lbs. Once spinning fast, there is a tremendous amount of rotational force in that wheel; yet, our brakes have plenty of power to stop these. Since our brakes are inboard, that means all of the stress of stopping that force falls into the geared hub and the CV axle...the geared hub can take it. The CV axle cannot. That's almost certainly what caused his CV axle to break.

Last edited:

infidel got me

The driver was trying to operate the Humvee on jeep/no trails. I have followed atv buddies on their trails-- if they get to tight-- I either find another way or back out.

It's not because I'm scared, it's because I know how much it cost/takes to repair these trucks. Now back when I was young with a strong back and a weak mind, I may

have been the guy in this video lol. Not saying he didn't have fun, but I like coming back home with my mirrors, hood and other related parts still attached and functioning..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks