• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How NOT to reseat a tire on an M886

cucvrus

I want you to know the pictures you are about to see are real. I had no part in this fiasco. Do not try this at home. It could be hazardous to your health. I stayed in the cab of the M886 and filmed from the drivers seat with the window closed. This was a local man that was walking by and saw us trying to reseat the tire. It was worth the laugh and he went and came back with beer for all of us. We never did get the tire seated and figured we had better quit while we still had a tire. I will drop it off at the tire shop tomorrow and never breath a word of this to them. It was a good time and he was determined to show us how he did it in Iraq. We all laughed and I hid in the truck. I saw a 7 ton tire blow to pieces one time when some PFC tried that method of reseating it.

Attachments

dependable

That is because your buddy did not know how to either seat a tire. Got be verticle or tied so there are not large gaps between rim and tire bead.

Likely some would say never to do this, but if done right it does work in the field. Lets you keep working. Especially usefull on de beaded bobcat & industrial mower tires, but have used on truck tires in a pinch. It is somewhat dangerous, so better to fix the leak in tire and inflate normally.

Maybe no one should do this, but if you do try it, do it right, or you'll just have a tire fire and a wrecked bead.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a ratchet strap and put it around the outside of the tire in the center of the tread. Tighten it up until the beads are pushed out against the rim. Remove the valve core and stick the air hose on it without the fill attachment if your air hose quick release valve will open (you need a large volume of air if the bead is not tight) without it. If not, try it with the valve in. I have to do this with my ATV periodically and it works for automotive tires too.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Straw and laying it on flat ground will work. I've done it lots of times. I know it's unsafe. I don't recommend people to do it either.

dawico

Get a ratchet strap and put it around the outside of the tire in the center of the tread. Tighten it up until the beads are pushed out against the rim. Remove the valve core and stick the air hose on it without the fill attachment if your air hose quick release valve will open (you need a large volume of air if the bead is not tight) without it. If not, try it with the valve in. I have to do this with my ATV periodically and it works for automotive tires too.
I have done the ratchet strap trick and it works well. The last few I put the rim on a bucket and sprayed the bead with soapy water. Then I jammed the tire down to get the lower bead to hold and lifted while I aired. I have had good luck with that technique.

Artisan

Today at Azusa Canyon, CA I was cruising my M916 and a guy flags / stops me
and climbs up onto the rig and asks me if my truck has enough air to reseat
a bead. I look over and see maybe a 16" rim w/ a 34" tire that is like 14"
wide that they popped the tire off the rim, the tire and rim were FULL of
thick mud. I told them I have 120 PSI but only a 1/4" tire filling hose
and no, I can't magically reseat there tire to rim. It was a HUGE mess.
They had not even jacked it up yet to clean the bead. Of corse I said,
JUST PUT ON YOUR SPARE BRO, and they said, Umm, I don't have
a spare tire... (lol) so I said, just pull the tire and put it in your
friends truck and drive down the lil hill to the tire place and
you will be back by lunch...well, he digressed and said, do
you have any ether? I said "You guys jack it up, clean it
up like you REALLY want to get home and I will find
you some ether. 2 hours later they found me, I
gave them a full can of ether, full, but I bet u
they are still there, beating that dead horse
instead of just running down the lil hill to
the tire shop and getting it fixed good.
You can lead a horse to water but...
:deadhorse:

Special T

When using the ratche strap method, make sure the ratchet mechanism is NOT locked but very easy to let loose..(ratchet not completely closed).

The explosion method works I think the tire leaned up agains something rather than on a 5 gal bucket works better...

OR like many people have said, just bring a spare!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This can be one of the only ways to seat the big 66x43x25 Flotation 23s or Super Terra Grip tires ran on the monster truck circuit. Scared the hades out of me the first time I saw it circa 81.

cucvrus

I dropped it off at the local garage today and it was sitting in my truck bed when I got home tonight from hunting all seated and inflated. I called my friend and he said N/C. The story was worth the laugh and it only took 30 seconds to seat on the tire machine. DUH. I told the clowns that. But it was funny watching.

Eaglhawk

The type of ether they sell now works poorly. Instead if I need to seat a hard to mount tire I use oxy-acetylene, adjust flame to neutral, pop off the flame and let it blow in the tire.. Restrike...then Voom... Depending on size of the tire depends on how much... Also have air attached to the valve-stem, because after beading the air will cool inside and sometimes will suck itself off bead... Have beaded a 6' diameter loader tire this way in an emergency... WARNING! too much gas.. It will be your last....

FloridaAKM

I had a vendor use ether to reset a large tire on a tankwagon rim here @ work that had broken the bead. It worked well, except that he was using ether & a flame inside of a chemical plant on a tankwagon that was half full of acetone mixture. The next repair company that we hired uses a tank that they pressure up with air & it dumps all the charge @ one time into the tire. If it doesn't work the first time, they repeat till it resets the bead on the rim. A rachet strap will work, but is too slow for a commercial operation!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks