• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How practial is a LMTV as a daily driver ?

1951M1078

I have been wanting a LMTV for sometime. How practical is this truck as a daily drive taking away the size and the cost of fuel ?

agazza2

In Phoenix the only thing that would not be practical as a daily driver is finding a parking spot. It would not be bad if you do not mind parking out near the end of the parking lot. But if you go to the places that do not have much parking, it may be an issue. The trucks do great in traffic (great view, and right gear range in stop and go traffic). But I would add one of the small round mirrors to the passengers side to see the small cars in the blind spot.

Lmtv772

Banned
When I go shopping nobody cares if I use 4 parking spots. I do also park at the end of the row. Driving in traffic is like driving your living room with panoramic window. I don't have to worry about people tailgating me, as they stay well away from me. Nobody ever cuts me off in my LMTV, if I'd hit them. I'd transport them straight to the 6th dimension or at least into next week. People honk, wink, salute,give thumbs up, v for victory and index finger in the air for #1.

its not a vehicle for road rage, however. I always do the 21,22.23 count. And if you want to be un noticed, it's probably a bad choice of ride.

with all that said. To me it's very practical. And since my truck has a driveshaft (two actually) and a transfercase- I don't need an ac, as it moved pretty swiftly.

Last edited:

1951M1078

Looking for more ammo for the Wife talk .
Thanks all.

The truck will replace my F250 4x4 diesel. I will miss the 14 to 17 mpg.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 44 years as a team, I just need to move slowly . :D
Our 1st military vehicle was for my wife. She wanted a mid-50s Dodge Power Wagon and while looking for one I ran across a M37. The rest is history. That was 9 years ago and in that time I've had 4 CUCVs, half a dozen deuces, 3 MKTs, 1 M923A2, a Gama Goat, and now a 1078. She still has the same M37.

Last edited:

Ukraine Train

I usually try to let mine warm up about 15 minutes and then idle 3-5 minutes before shutting down to let the turbo cool. This turns a quick run to the drug store into a 45 minute process lol. Everyone looks so no picking your nose while driving! If you're not in a hurry it would make a fine daily. I love mine but really only take it out a couple times a week. Parade season is coming so I just ordered some flags to put on it.

dk8019

As far as using any MV for a DD it probably comes down to budget. While fuel and issues with parking come to mind, fixing the beast when it breaks, or just typical PM work is much more costly than even a 1-ton truck.

scottmandu

The only hindrance to daily driving is the fuel economy, and possibly entering and leaving the vehicle. Turning radius is less than a full size long bed dually. Ride is awesome for such a huge beast, people look twice before turning out in front of you. You can put 8 pallets of whatever in the back of the bed. The bed is large enough to hold a mid size car (if you can get it in there).

Lmtv772

Banned
I am not worried about the gas mileage, really. (not yet anyway). I don't understand your concern about entering and leaving the vehicle? Do you mean you're having difficulty getting in and out? Or about locking it?

scottmandu

My 8 year old has difficulty getting out of it, and it's hard to climb into it carry anything.

Another cool thing about the truck is you can park in tight parking spots as the door generally opens ABOVE cars, and even pickup trucks.

I am not worried about the gas mileage, really. (not yet anyway). I don't understand your concern about entering and leaving the vehicle? Do you mean you're having difficulty getting in and out? Or about locking it?

Lmtv772

Banned
I guess it's not a family car :) I haven't seen any kids that had problems getting in... or out.
Sometimes things can be cumbersome to get into the cab, i agree. I like the fact that I'm even above those costly checked up ford f250. I really like that.

scottmandu

As far as using any MV for a DD it probably comes down to budget. While fuel and issues with parking come to mind, fixing the beast when it breaks, or just typical PM work is much more costly than even a 1-ton truck.
Changing fluids is more expensive than your typical truck but then again it's due to the sheer volume of fluids, 24 liters of oil, and 41 liters of transmission fluid is costly to replace, but just about every common common replacement/maintenance item is similar in cost and often less than a typical family sedan.

The expensive bits are those related to the cab, door handles to think of one.

tterbo

I just picked up mine in Norfolk on Thursday and drove it home to Florida non-stop, 900 miles. It was a great trip and we had fun but there is definitely 3 things I will be changing - better seats, adding air conditioning, and either adding higher gears or taller tires. The seats absolutely suck for long distance driving but aren't really bad for commuting. Since I have been home I have driven it everywhere. You have a panoramic view and can see everything. The turn radius is pretty good, about that of a crew cab dually. It's hot down here so I have already started accumulating A/C components but those big side windows let in a lot of air so it's not too bad. I love the truck and can't wait to start modding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks