• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Risky Is This?

sidlloyd

Looking at a bunch of M1009's up for auction later this month. Many say, "driven onto lot" some say "starts" some say "starts with jump".

From your experience, what are the odds that I'll get one that I can drive cross country without major mechanical problems? Or should I plan on shipping it home?

Also, what's a good source for new batteries?

thanks,

Sid

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you really want to jump in a $1500 truck that you know nothing about and drive it a couple thousand miles? Who knows you might get lucky. Several on steelsoldiers have. Many have not.

Last edited:

two.fiveM35

A bunch of really nice ones (rare) just sold between 2 and about 4k. To get a better idea look up past action event 5414 , lots 7200-7238. Hope you weren't talking about this auction, because you are a day late.

Chief_919

Looking at a bunch of M1009's up for auction later this month. Many say, "driven onto lot" some say "starts" some say "starts with jump".

From your experience, what are the odds that I'll get one that I can drive cross country without major mechanical problems? Or should I plan on shipping it home?

Also, what's a good source for new batteries?

thanks,

Sid
Batteries- any auto parts store.

Myself- no matter what, I won't try to drive something right off a GL lot across town, much less across the country. You simply don't know enough about the condition of the vehicle, a vehicle that was used hard, turned in, not picked by any of the many agencies that could get it for free, sat for 6-12 months with no maintenance, and was sold as salvage.

Add to all that the fact that you won't have a valid registration.

If something happens and you get into an accident, how do you think that will look in court?

The most I will do is tow a trailer out- AFTER I jack up the wheels and spin the tires and check for play in the bearings, if I have a spare tire and lug wrench taht fits the trailer. I would flat tow a CUCV home if the tires and bearings looked good and I had a good spare.

Yes, people get lucky driving things right off the DRMO lot. Lucky is the right word.

It will only take a few bouts of bad luck- or one where the wrong person is affected, to see new laws or restrictions on our hobby.

Sardot1

Mine was listed as driven on to lot. I had it picked up by a towing company and taken to a Chevy dealership where it had an oil change and an inspection done. The only thing wrong with it was the belts were a little loose and I had them fix that. At that point I considered driving it home 1700 miles and would have felt comfortable doing so, but I did not have the time to do it and would not have saved any money. I had it shipped from Wisconsin, which took a few days to arrange so it was good I got it off the GL lot to the dealership right away, as you have 10 days to remove it after the EUC clears.

The nice thing about doing it this way was I knew the truck was good to go when I received it, and in fact I took it out for some off-road testing, and put at least 50 miles on it the first day I had it. The photo with my dog was that first day.

I received my truck two weeks ago and have put 700 miles on it without any problems. It is just a lot of fun to drive, and take it places I could not go with my other cars.

Now, an unscrupulous repair shop could have made up any problem they thought I'd pay for repair on a truck I had never seen before, but I found a good place. If you buy from Ft McCoy, WI, Brenegen Chevrolet in Sparta will take good care of your truck if you want to send it there before you pick it up or have it shipped.

Sardot1

I just realized you are in Cornville, I'm over the hill in Prescott. In fact I was just up on top of Mingus Mountain today watching a guy hang glide off the mountain toward your neighborhood.

There is a M1009 that has been advertised for a few months nearby your area you might check out. I have not looked at it, but it looks like original faded camo paint, and possibly in pretty good condition. A little pricey, but considering you can test drive it and dont have to have it shipped it might be worth it.

I'll PM you the link to it since it would be a violation of the rules to post it here.

bevanet

It all depends on how much time, money and mechanical ability you have. I've found that by the time I take days off work and buy the fuel, hotels etc, that shipping is cheaper or at least not much more. If you have the time and some mechanical ability you can give it a shot. If it has a major problem you will have to store it someplace until you can get it shipped. I like to buy batteries at Sams Club or Costco. Costco is very good about taking them back if they don't last as long as they should. Good luck and have fun!

timm831

Two words EXTREMELY RISKY. On top of all of the reasons listed above I took a vehicle on day to Fort Worth to pick up some items. I had driven this vehicle many miles during Hurrucane Katrina while in orange and West Orange Texas. I had no problems with the truck while there nor after. Unfortunately, I ran into some serious fule issues on the trip from Houston to Fort Worth and actually had to tow it into the GSA lot up there. Needless to say, what shoudl ahve been an "easy" trip turned into a two very long day ordeal for myself and fellow museum members, not to mention expense. Wound up buying an M818 w/w to tow the truck home. That was even having my personal pick up as a chase vehicle.

Now when we go to GSA we go with chase vehicles, extra personel, and have hook-ups with a towing company just in case.

bubba_got_you

if you can have it shipped... have it shipped its the best way to do it. i just had 2 m818s shipped to me form a gl lot by a member here (Travis89xj) and it is by far the best way to go. Both trucks start and run fine but its just not worth the possible problems </SPAN>

Attachments

Heavysteven

No way in my book. Plan on previewing and shipping.

You need to consider risk vs reward. You may save some cash or you might break down slide into a ditch and hit a pole.

warlord381

Anytime you buy without previewing you are taking a chance. Yes you may get lucky, but you must plan for the worst case scenario. I bought a M1009 about 5 hours away and opted to have it shipped to avoid the hassle of breaking down on the road. I'm sure it would have been fine but without a preview you never know. The best advise I ever heard on MV collecting is no vehicle is one-in-a-million there are lots out there, take your time. And when it comes to GL saying "driven onto lot" that doesnt mean a **** thing!