• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How slow do you go m818

ncduece

ive been doing alot of towing with m818 its the only five ton ive used to tow with. can you guys tell me how your speed is towing . ill post pictures of the tow i did a few months ago from Wilmington nc to west va 500 mile trip . its seems to take for ever to get up to speed. and some grades say 5 percent im down to 25mph sometimes 15mph. i have to down shift on most grades even not towing. Towing i have to down shift for overpasses. ive seen a lot of post about towing 60000lbs plus with these trucks i don't see how that would be feasible . my rpms will get to 2200. the engine seems to run fine but i have not driven another m818 is the typical for these truck or do i have issues. its got new a fuel filter. i would guess the tow weight around 30000lbs. i love the truck but man it makes for a long day behind the wheel. do i need a new fuel button?

Attachments

Andy1234

When I towed an M129A2C trailer from Jefferson City, MO to St. Louis, I got down to as low as 35 mph on I-70, going uphill. The trailer was empty, and weighed approx 15,000 lbs.

With no trailer, the truck will go 54 mph on the highway with ease. I use 2nd to start rolling, and can accelerate smoothly. Some trucks seem to have more power then others, from what I've experienced.

The trucks were not designed to go 65 mph, uphill. However, they will easily pull 60,000 lbs, uphill at 15-25 mph, all day, over rough terrain.

I've learned to accept this, and enjoy what I can do with it.

Andy

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy has it right! Folks today are comparing these "off road trucks", to ones that are designed for todays highways. I have never had a Five Ton, but back in the Old days, I converted a 211 to a tractor and pulled medium sized loads. She would fade right down on the hills, like 10 to 15MPH, but she would do that all day, and when your were down to that, it really didn't matter anymore, how much weight you were pulling.

Even with the straight 211, with a 105, it would fade on the hills. Once going to the Brooks Range, pretty well loaded, the passenger would get out on the hill, and get into the 105 for refreshments, and then jog a little to overtake, and get back in the 211.

Big Fat tires seem to be popular, but other then look impressive, big tires compromise performance, when you have any kind of load.

For better performance, I'm sure you can open them up a little, but you'll soon fine that you need to be a real truck driver, to get max performance out of them.

Lee in Alaska

Hammer

Well, big fat tires let me cruise at 65 mph, and bumped my MPG from 5 mpg to 7 mpg!
And if I tow anything, on the bigger steeper hills, I plan on being in low range.
That being said, with it in low-5th, and the bigger tires, I am doing around 32 mph up most any hill. Not too bad really!

Andy1234

Even when towing the trailer (unloaded), I never took it out of high range. The truck had stock 11.00 x 20 NDT tires.

One other thing to consider, in a different truck, unloaded, I was able to go 56 mph up I-44 from OKC to StL, and ended up boiling a lot of the rear end lube out of both differentials! The transfer case got good and warm, and lost some fluid as well! This truck has 11.00 x 20 XZL's.

It was a price that I was willing to pay, as after 12 hrs of 50 mph, I wanted to get home!

Andy

grizcty

Andy has it right! Folks today are comparing these "off road trucks", to ones that are designed for todays highways. I have never had a Five Ton, but back in the Old days, I converted a 211 to a tractor and pulled medium sized loads. She would fade right down on the hills, like 10 to 15MPH, but she would do that all day, and when your were down to that, it really didn't matter anymore, how much weight you were pulling.

Even with the straight 211, with a 105, it would fade on the hills. Once going to the Brooks Range, pretty well loaded, the passenger would get out on the hill, and get into the 105 for refreshments, and then jog a little to overtake, and get back in the 211.

Big Fat tires seem to be popular, but other then look impressive, big tires compromise performance, when you have any kind of load.

For better performance, I'm sure you can open them up a little, but you'll soon fine that you need to be a real truck driver, to get max performance out of them.

Lee in Alaska
I agree Lee,
Those big fat tires, might be a bit better in the mud/tundra.;-)
But for highway use .
Especially icy conditions.
I will stick to tall and skinny as it is better.:grin:

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only driven my stock 818 without a load but at 2200 RPM my max I am running 52 MPH. I head to Little Rock to pick up a box trailer next week, I will see how it goes with a light load.
James

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
S-l-o-w is the name of the game towing with these trucks. Experience with my M813 (flat towing deuces, etc.) and Sarge's M818 yields roughly the same, when you go up a hill, you are going to do it slowly (and loudly). Even minor hills drain speed fairly rapidly.
They will pull a house off its foundation, just not quickly!
If its any consolation, my Unimog unladen is as bad or worse. You become very aware of the grade on roads that look almost flat. It would climb trees if it had little feet, but it is slower than Christmas. Just as fun though... :p

Cheers

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you match the rear tires, if there is any difference in the total tire circumferences between the two axles, there will be drag. Highway trucks have an interaxle differential, our MVs don't.

jwaller

about the only way to see how your engine is performing is to put an egt on it. if you know that then you can guesstimate how much more fuel it can take without over heating the pistons.

jwaller

would that make the axle just a floater? is there a lockout hub similar to the deuce that ive seen with shafts that can be engaged with a turn of the dial?
yes and no. nobody makes a hub for the 5T. a long long time ago there were a very very few made, but no longer. I would count on a visit from jesus before you find one.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Id say if you want road speed and power buy a cheap road tractor, you have the wrong truck for the job. Its a off road truck to begin with. Rosco's right on his post. -Jay

Hey, do not forget, these are oldtimers. Do not compare with modern trucks. You have on the 818 series trucks a maximum of 240 hp, not 400 or so. Your drive train is made for a maximum of 60 mph, not for 75 to 80 mph. So, if you go 15 to 25 mph with a 60000 pound load uphill, it is a very good average for that time of the design of the trucks.
Bigger tires are not a benefit for the performance, except on level streets. In the hills you loose the same percentage you win in speed. The engine torque is limited. And bigger tires need better brakes, at least on the front axle. If your cylinder is 20", you should change to 24", anyway to the next available size. This reduces overbraking of the rear axles (danger to spinn around) and increases braking performance quite well. Rear axles should also be cared for. An automatic load sensing device might be very helpfull, if you find something on the market, which you can adjust to the trucks needs. Some calculations are required for that. But for the braking performance it is worth the time.
US truck from that time (early seventies) traditionally overbrake the rear axles which is not the state of the art any more and due to road safety should be changed if possible.
Wolf

emr

Like said above, these are tactical vehicles, do not ever expect to go fast, and as for doing over 50 with those big tires, please do not get me wrong, it is just dangerous . When she lets go i do not care who u are , it will be gone, these trucks are designed to carry loads in off road conditions, not fly down the highway, they are awesome at what they are supposed to do, anyone can push them over there limit, I have at times and are guilty too, but i never make a habit of it, and in those times had 2 hands on tight and was ready to deal with my actions and never blame the truck, It is the driver who is responcible, please never be in a hurry, that is more than just good advise, i hope it is taken that way, I also have alot of experience, but like anyone else, it can happen to me, the bigger tires i do not even belive they are rated for speeds over 50, this may be another reason to see that it is a bigger liability and maybe wreckless endangerment also...just saying,,,randy