• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How strong are 10 bolts really?

midcounty

HUH? why would there be a 44 in the front?gm hasnt used a 44 in the front since 80 or 81. you wont find one in a gm cucv
I just glanced under my truck, which I have only had a week, and thought it was a Dana rear. Is it a 60? I assumed it had the 44 like the older half tons. I just didn't think they would have run a 60 in the front with a 10b rear.

ODdave

If you have a 1009 it has 10 bolts front and rear. If you have a 1008,28,31 it has a 60 front and a 14 bolt rear. The 60 is the only Dana front gm used in the 80's

original

I have removed my intial post. I couldn't believe what the **** I wrote. To many paint fumes lately, I guess. The Dana 60/14b is a great 4X4 setup. Although any axle setup can give out under extreme 4X4 conditions. They weren't designed to be used that way. Anyway, I'll shut up before I mix everything up again.

vtwinpilot

My 1009 rear bearings went out, I happen to have a 10 bolt limited slip out of a 93 gmc that could be a quick fix. I know i'll have to change the wheel cylinders to upgrade the brake fluid, It will be a bit odd running 5 bolt rims for awhile, not sure on gear ratio but I need it running now........any thing I may be overlooking on using this axle?

ODdave

My 1009 rear bearings went out, I happen to have a 10 bolt limited slip out of a 93 gmc that could be a quick fix. I know i'll have to change the wheel cylinders to upgrade the brake fluid, It will be a bit odd running 5 bolt rims for awhile, not sure on gear ratio but I need it running now........any thing I may be overlooking on using this axle?
Everything is wrong. Including width. don't waste your time

idM1028

Depends. I'm not a big fan of them. I've seen open 10-bolts with 3.73 gears and stock tires blow up in front of small unloaded horse trailers. However, IIRC the axle was a bit low on oil. I've also seen the same truck pull a trailer with hay bales (two of the big round ones) down the highway without too much issue.

Goose2448

Don't know if this compairs too well, but it is a 10 bolt. Uncle has a 98 GMC C1500 WT, that he moded, with a 350/290 and a bunch of parts. Also put in a 5 Speed. He broke the axel, in 23K miles of driving. To be honest I dont know how many miles are on the axel, or the truck as a whole, but that thing sounds horrible. It shakes and shudders. I think he may of chipped a tooth in it. Its not a ton of power, but from the 305 and auto, I guess it is. A 14 Bolt Full Floater is in order, and is a good choice for a cheap basic setup. IMHO

Viper350

I've had a 10 bolt in my Civy K5 with a hoped up 396 BBC on 36's for about two years now. I have put it through its paces and it has held up great. I do have a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt behind the shed for the day the 10 bolts take a dive.

Attachments

acesneights1

:D
As someone who has built many many off road truck and have beaten trucks like a rented mule I can say with complete confidence that GM 10 bolts are junk. Pure junk. Look at it this way...When you blow a 10 bolt(not hard to do at all) it's always fun to watch your wheel AND axle pass you. The brake suck, way too small drums. They are good for only one thing, a mooring. It's way too easy to find better diffs and they are bolt in save for minor mods. Even 3/4 tons diffs are fine although I'd prefer a Dana 44 over a 10 bolt upfront. Sorry if that offends but I have blown up many many 12 and 10 bolts(the older Blazers had 12 bolts) and twice had my wheel and axle pass me. Nope, only full floaters for me. I will never own anything with a c clip diff and yes the 10 bolt gov locks are the worst. They self destruct. you are one the right track, find 1 tons.

wkbrdngsnw

I actually sat down and calculated the approximate max tire size for a rear 10 bolt. Not taking into account geometric stress concentrations, splines, changes in radius, and assuming generic medium carbon steel. With rated axle load on one tire with a coefficient of friction of 1, a good tire on dry pavement, a 32.3 in tire was the maximum. Although I would hope they would have used better steel than that so probably around a 33 would be "safe" for a static situation. That also assumes you can genorate that kind of torque. With the 3.08's and a stock 6.2 I doubt it could make that amount of torque.

That would be most liked a locked axle since that's alot of weight on one side so the other side is going to be far less and would have less traction and slip if it was open. 35's would probably be OK for and open. The coefficient of friction for dirt and rock is definitely less that 1 so there is room there to. On dirt an open 37 shouldn't blow up if you are gental with it.

A front would be slightly better since it doesn't carry the weight of the vehicle on the shaft, but has ujoints and yokes so its most likely about the same strength.

The less weight the axle has on it the bigger tire it can handle so maybe put your blazer on a diet.

acesneights1

Not to mention the lugs them selves strip with bigger than stock tires. Seen that too. They are tiny. 7/16 IIRC. Stock or close to stock with normal on road driving they work but when ya'all do some redneck math...
Billy Ray gots an M1009 next to his traaailer. He downs a 6 and some shine and goes up the mountain lookin fer dinner. Git's stuck in da mud and beats that nag ......Dang it...m truck broke ...M'wheel done fell off....
Dang I wish I had's me some big o 8 lugs...
Now let's see engineer math top that...rofl

Last edited:

dstang97

Not to mention the lugs them selves strip with bigger than stock tires. Seen that too. They are tiny. 7/16 IIRC. Stock or close to stock with normal on road driving they work but when ya'all do some redneck math...
Billy Ray gots an M1009 next to his traaailer. He downs a 6 and some shine and goes up the mountain lookin fer dinner. Git's stuck in da mud and beats that nag ......Dang it...m truck broke ...M'wheel done fell off....
Dang I wish I had's me some big o 8 lugs...
Now let's see engineer math top that...rofl
I like that scenario. Lmfao

vtwinpilot

Lot of good info in this thread. Definite the 93 axle will not work, from what I recall the limited slip carrier looked the same. I know I'm better off chucking it but I am in a hurry. My M1009 axle has bearing play on each side, the gears and rings look fine. Wear is showing on the carrier. My thought is for a quick fix I replace it with the 93 carrier and change the axles or just the bearings if the axles are fine.........any input appreciated............Yes I will go 14bolt down the line if I keep it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks