• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How strong is the brush guard?

86M10086.2L

Just like the title says. How strong do you guys think the brush guard really is? I plan on installing a winch and making up a mount very similar to this one.IMG_2439.JPG
I'd also like to run some fender bars from my rock sliders to the grille guard. Like on this Landcruiser. The question is do you think it can handle it? I'm not looking for a rock crawler exo-cage. Just a little extra tree and animal protection. Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:
IMG_5788.jpg

If its good enough for Fred Williams its good enough for me. I've done a couple pulls with it and the guard held up fine. I also can get you a kit for the winch mount like this if you want.

red

Grill guard is only as strong as what it's mounted to, which is a not very thick stock bumper. Won't live up to deer at highway speeds and gets pushed into the fender/hood when a white tail doesn't move.

ridenby

Seem to be pretty stout. I intend to replace the mount bolts one of these days,just because. And keep thinking about making mount feet forward. No extreme use yet,just pulling truck to verify working and pulled a large truck box I use for storage. 102_1286 (1).jpg102_1287 (1).jpg

Grill guard is only as strong as what it's mounted to, which is a not very thick stock bumper. Won't live up to deer at highway speeds and gets pushed into the fender/hood when a white tail doesn't move.
The guard is actually mounted with bolts that go through the bumper into the frame. In the picture below the carriage style bolts (theres 4 of them) you see on the left goes right to the frame.

IMG_1935.jpg

red

The guard is actually mounted with bolts that go through the bumper into the frame. In the picture below the carriage style bolts (theres 4 of them) you see on the left goes right to the frame.

View attachment 716851
Trust the stock grill guard if you want, my experience hitting a few white tail deer with 73-87 gm trucks/suv's tells me it's not strong enough for deer at 55+mph.

86M10086.2L

I'm not looking to deer proof my truck. I was more concerned with knowing whether or not as a group people thought the brush guard is strong enough to warrant the effort of making the fender bars I want. As in will it damage easily if any kind of pressure is put on it from the bar. I'm confident in its ability to be used as part of a winch mount from how it's mounted and constructed. The idea came to me while I was looking at the guard and then my rock sliders. I like the idea, but I'm not gonna waste my time fabbing up the fender protection if it's just gonna be mall crawler/poser rated.

ridenby

I think if you used inch or inch and a quarter tube it would be plenty strong for keeping saplings and such off your fenders. And would help prevent hooking a tree between the guard and the fender when backing.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not looking to deer proof my truck. I was more concerned with knowing whether or not as a group people thought the brush guard is strong enough to warrant the effort of making the fender bars I want. As in will it damage easily if any kind of pressure is put on it from the bar. I'm confident in its ability to be used as part of a winch mount from how it's mounted and constructed. The idea came to me while I was looking at the guard and then my rock sliders. I like the idea, but I'm not gonna waste my time fabbing up the fender protection if it's just gonna be mall crawler/poser rated.
In this forum I don't think you'll find any haters. Fab away !! Now, some light hearted teasing might be in order, but thats all it is :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks