• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to add a liter of displacement to your CAT for about $170

Reworked LMTV

This was a very interesting video. They looked at how turbo blankets impacted the power output of an engine. Beware of cheap, fake "blankys" on net. Go with something like a PTP.

I believe there are a number of different turbos, including borg-warners, 225hp, 275hp, 290hp etc. Guess we will have to track down the different types for proper fitment.

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I wonder what the results would be with warmer ambient/intake air temps. I caught that comment about it "adding a liter"... I just have to be think if this was a thing everybody would be doing it? Also, it likely adds quite a bit to engine idle/cool down post-travel. As they also noted.

Reworked LMTV

Interesting. I wonder what the results would be with warmer ambient/intake air temps. I caught that comment about it "adding a liter"... I just have to be think if this was a thing everybody would be doing it? Also, it likely adds quite a bit to engine idle/cool down post-travel. As they also noted.
In the past, blankets were used to keep hoods from blistering paint and of course, heat soak reduction of other components. I don't think performance was a primary consideration initially.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the past, blankets were used to keep hoods from blistering paint and of course, heat soak reduction of other components. I don't think performance was a primary consideration initially.
You know, that's a good point. Skirts on OTR trailers took far too long to 'take off'. haha Probably because fuel costs weren't enough for fleets to justify the expense for the small incremental increase in economy. But if you look around, there're a lot of them out there now. Particularly on fleets (and for a variety of reasons).

Is heating the turbo up going to lead to faster failure of it? I don't have a problem spending $200 to give it a try. But I really don't want to prematurely age the turbo on my M35A3 trying it.

Reworked LMTV

You know, that's a good point. Skirts on OTR trailers took far too long to 'take off'. haha Probably because fuel costs weren't enough for fleets to justify the expense for the small incremental increase in economy. But if you look around, there're a lot of them out there now. Particularly on fleets (and for a variety of reasons).

Is heating the turbo up going to lead to faster failure of it? I don't have a problem spending $200 to give it a try. But I really don't want to prematurely age the turbo on my M35A3 trying it.
Ah, that's grounds for more testing! lol

MAdams

I like the idea of a sports car where you're only at WOT for a short period. I wouldn't be comfortable going up a long grade at full throttle for a 10 minutes.

coachgeo

wrap

cool the turbo with a thermostat to keep optimal temp??? wrap everything else?

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...-a-turbocharger/water-cooling-for-your-turbo/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks