• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to add a temperature guage

tgtaylor64

What are the recommendations on adding a analog temperature gauge to the dash next to the voltmeter? Specifically, which one and how does it need to hook up to the engine?

Skinny

I think mine is a cheap autometer gauge. Installed with all of the supplied fittings in the driver side cylinder head all the way up front. I removed the idiot light sender since I don't trust it and would rather just look at the gauge.

Drock

HA! I just walked in the house from installing one:carnac:. I just bought ah cheap $18.00 Bosch from advanced. I plan on getting better ones later so this one will get me through till then. I just ran the line through the speedo cable grommet in the fire wall , to the unused port on the passenger side of the water pump. The gauge even came with the right size brass adapter. Had to swing the passenger side alternator down and out of the way. I think the whole think took 20 minutes?

tgtaylor64

Just completed installing the Bosch from Advance mentioned by Drock. Very pleased. Other than having to heat the water pump plug to get it out, no problems with the install. Gauge reaches 180°F and then drops when thermostat opens then settles out to around 160°F while driving around town. Gauge rises when the engine is off to around 190°F and then drops as it cools.

llong66

I installed mine on the pass. side head after getting one of the threaded blockoff plates. I had temp. bought a cheap set from summit, a mechanical OP and temp gauge and no matter what I did, I could not get the sending unit to seal. Like I said, it was cheap, the set was only $20, so other than the ones mentioned above, YMMV with the cheap stuff.
Drock, I had heard that might not be the best location, I had asked about it in a past post, I will be interested in seeing what kind of readings you get.
Check out post 6 in this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?129916-Possible-water-temp-probe-location&highlight=

Last edited:

Drock

Just completed installing the Bosch from Advance mentioned by Drock. Very pleased. Other than having to heat the water pump plug to get it out, no problems with the install. Gauge reaches 180°F and then drops when thermostat opens then settles out to around 160°F while driving around town. Gauge rises when the engine is off to around 190°F and then drops as it cools.
:ditto: Yeah I'm getting the same readings. It hangs out at 160 do to the cooler fluid being pulled out of the radiator by the pump. I also have one of these http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/72...8&cadevice=c&gclid=CJmU-s72kcICFUkA7AodEVwAmw Mr. gasket radiator cap with the temp gauge in it. After the truck warms up it sits at 180, while the Bosch gauge in the cab sits at 160.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if a fellow wanted to add a water temperature gauge and keep the idiot light operable, where should the sending unit be located?

llong66

Sharecropper, I would try and find one of the threaded blockoff plates like I did, its the part like on the drivers side where the glow plug temp sensor is Maybe a fellow SS member has one to sell or someplace like Hillbilly wizard or Saturn surplus. Then you can just replace the one at the rear of the pass. side head. If you cant find one, you could either used the one on there or find a spare and drill it and weld a fitting of the proper size on.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper, I would try and find one of the threaded blockoff plates like I did, its the part like on the drivers side where the glow plug temp sensor is Maybe a fellow SS member has one to sell or someplace like Hillbilly wizard or Saturn surplus. Then you can just replace the one at the rear of the pass. side head. If you cant find one, you could either used the one on there or find a spare and drill it and weld a fitting of the proper size on.
Will do. Thanks!

rsh4364

Or you can get a coolant crossover from a Humvee,they have 3 extra ports.One for temp gauge,one for elect.fan controller and one for an anode.2 are 1/2npt and 1 is 3/8 I think.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
llong66 - I am having difficulty finding that threaded block-off plate. I would rather purchase the plate already threaded instead of having to weld on a fitting. Do you have a source? Thanks for your help.

cpf240

llong66 - I am having difficulty finding that threaded block-off plate. I would rather purchase the plate already threaded instead of having to weld on a fitting. Do you have a source? Thanks for your help.
It is a discontinued part. I bought one a few years ago from one of the online chevy/gm parts houses.

llong66

Sharecropper, I bought mine from a fellow SS member, maybe put a WTB ad in the classified? My only other thought would be local salvage yards, I imagine the sensor used on the civi trucks/vans is the same size.

welpro222

I tapped and threaded a 1/8 npt autometer sender into the coolant crossover pipe towards the drivers head. That way I could keep the light and have a gauge. I also teed off the oil port and added a autometer sender there too.

cucvrus

008.jpg007.jpgI have HMMWV coolant crossover manifolds that have 3 ports to use for what ever you want. Just like rsh464 was saying. I sold him one. Send a PM if you want one. I still have a few left.

Last edited:

rsh4364

View attachment 531646View attachment 531647I have HMMWV coolant crossover manifolds that have 3 ports to use for what ever you want. Just like rsh464 was saying. I sold him one. Send a PM if you want one. I still have a few left.
Im gonna get mine installed as soon as new radiator gets here,I like the 3 extra ports as I want to go electric fan eventually and want to add a sacrificial anode to coolant system.Left port for temp. sender unit,center port for anode and right port for elect.fan controller.Two things I have to change is the heater hose connection needs to be switched to a 45 to clear our alternator and water pump bypass on Humvee seems to be 3/4 hose instead of 5/8.Ill either switch waterpump to 3/4 bypass or crossover to 5/8.Anyone have a waterpump bypass thread size ?

Last edited:

cucvrus

Check out that box. That is the one that was lost in the great snow storm on a stranded Fed Ex truck. It is the one I sent to Greensprings OH. Do you know anyone out there. I just got it back on Friday and check out the box. Nice condition. Never hurt the manifold.

rsh4364

Check out that box. That is the one that was lost in the great snow storm on a stranded Fed Ex truck. It is the one I sent to Greensprings OH. Do you know anyone out there. I just got it back on Friday and check out the box. Nice condition. Never hurt the manifold.
Haha,I was wondering if that was my first crossover,tried zooming on box to see if that was mine! CUCVRUS went way out of his way to get me my part guys.Looks like they put under rear tire for traction maybe..LOL.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks