• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to balance a Goodyear 395/85/20

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I have 5 new tires that refuse to be balanced. The best one only wanted 17 oz, maybe normal. The worst wanted 88 oz, kinda absurd. Spoke to Goodyear distributor and was told that if a MV/t needed more than 14 oz then it was a bad tire and could never be balanced. I believe them. But why and what to do?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say even for new tires 17oz is "normal" and acceptable, but 88oz, not so much. If you have the Hutchinson T1001 beadlocks and std. steel wheels I would try again after disassembling and rotate the beadlock 180⁰. Also check the wheel itself: especially the inner half could be deformed and the whole assembly out of balance, too.

I've had one used (90%) MV/T requiring 64oz (1812g), on a well centered, previously balanced wheel, and without any beadlock. That tire presented only minimal runout and it later ran perfectly smooth, even on the front axle.

Attachments

sue

I'd say even for new tires 17oz is "normal" and acceptable, but 88oz, not so much. If you have the Hutchinson T1001 beadlocks and std. steel wheels I would try again after disassembling and rotate the beadlock 180⁰. Also check the wheel itself: especially the inner half could be deformed and the whole assembly out of balance, too.

I've had one used (90%) MV/T requiring 64oz (1812g), on a well centered, previously balanced wheel, and without any beadlock. That tire presented only minimal runout and it later ran perfectly smooth, even on the front axle.
That much I would look at the bead lock being displaced

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK well I am looking for people who could not balance the MV/t tires. Machine says it is balanced but still shakes more than you can stand.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
2 big truck tire places have told me that the MV/T cannot be balanced. They do not know why. How can the beadlock cause a problem? It is a good fit on the wheel and should run true. The tires with no balancing shake so much at 45 that it is undrivable.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

2 big truck tire places have told me that the MV/T cannot be balanced. They do not know why. How cam the beadlock cause a problem, it is a good fit on the wheel and should run true. The tires with no balancing shake so much at 45 that it is undrivable.
Have you tried antifreeze yet?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
With CTIS I don't see how that is an option. A dynamic wheel balancer says the worst one is 88 oz out. The MV/T is rated for 68 mph so surely they thought it could be driven at that speed. Tire runs true, wheel runs true.

Reworked LMTV

With CTIS I don't see how that is an option. A dynamic wheel balancer says the worst one is 88 oz out. The MV/T is rated for 68 mph so surely they thought it could be driven at that speed. Tire runs true, wheel runs true.
Apparently antifreeze works fine with CTIS. I will be trying 7 new MV/T's in the coming weeks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
2 big truck tire places have told me that the MV/T cannot be balanced. They do not know why. How cam the beadlock cause a problem, it is a good fit on the wheel and should run true. The tires with no balancing shake so much at 45 that it is undrivable.
Sometimes the bea
So you have the L load range mvt tire?

Not many machines can balance a tire and wheel of that size Ive only seen a few wheels with wheel weights from the military. They mostly slap and go.

You may consult goodyear and speak with their field engineers. They may have an OTR shop near you to inspect them. Goodyear will do this on a new tire even if you did not buy it from them.

If the machine is saying that much weight i would suspect a seperated belt on most tires. Especially if its bouncing bad on the machine.

I have never balanced any tire ive put on any of my trucks.

Antifreeze doesn't hurt anything with the ctis system.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Load range G. These are unused tires removed from spare wheels. How do you detect a seperated belt?
It will bounce up and down really bad

If they are from true spare tires that sat in the rack then yes the belt can seperate from it being stood up for a very long time. And would depend on what date code they are.

Btw G load range MVTs are rated to 81mph. Not 68 like the L road range tire. Shown below the highlighted section below

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
What date code is bad? These tires could not be driven at more than 45 so we tried to balance them, it made a positive difference. Would there have been an improvement if the tire was separated? Shakes at 58 - 62 and is better at 70.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What date code is bad? These tires could not be driven at more than 45 so we tried to balance them, it made a positive difference. Would there have been an improvement if the tire was separated? Shakes at 58 - 62 and is better at 70.
Yes. It can get an improvement. Most of the time it will be a cross balance. Say you put X amount of weights where the machine says it needs to be. Then its run again to check the balanfe. It will tend to tell you to add more heavy weight to another place on the tire not in the same place as the other weights that are on it.

Basically it just keeps throwing odd ball measurements out regardless of how much you add.

Date code would be 2014 and older if the tire had been the truck spare. Showing this is alot of tires that we have that we know were spares. Brand new but they are all cracked between the treads in just the spot it sat on in the carrier.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK thanks. I also have 2 dated mid 2017 that exhibit the worse problems. Truck sat for over a year, but probably less that 2 years with these tires on the rear.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Were any of the tires flat while it sat. They all can do it but an XZL will do it the worst. If it sits flat for a few days then the tire is basically damaged and will shake like heck driving on it..

You said spare wheels and new. I figured new tires not been on a truck and taken off

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
OK to clarify the tires are dated 08 to 09 and were spare tires from something that used MV/T, maybe a mrap. They have never been mounted on a truck in road contact position. Don't see ANY cracking at base of any of the tread. The tires that came on the truck I bought (dated 17) may easily have been very low or flat. Someone suggested I drive it at low pressure for a while, they thought that may help the plies regain symmetry. Maybe I just need a set of NEW tires, I like the MV/T as I think they would run quieter and smoother.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Wes, I also have 6 new XZL but they are dated 2008. They also have never met the road but I have no idea how they have been stored. Am I likely to have issues with them also? Maybe I should just get 4 new MV/T from you but now I am afraid of any tire!! I may have a truck passing by you in a month or so.
Thanks, Tom

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the MV/T as I think they would run quieter and smoother.
They definitely run quieter than XZLs and wear better, too. And out of dozens mounted (myself) I have yet to find one with a run-out of more than 3/32" (on a true wheel).
And so far every single one of those tires balanced just fine - statically, that is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks