• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to bench test a fuel gauge?

OGMurph

Fuel Gauge always been broken

Hey guys,

Like the title says my gauge is a no go. Ive looked and it seems like the ground wire is loose.. Where would i attach that properly? Secondly i ground a small piece of the frame down and taped the black wire there with no luck.. Would i be able to use my muilt-meter to check the ohm resistance? Would that tell me if the sender unit is bad? Could i do this with this bad ground situation im working on?

I searched the TM's for the proper placement of the ground for this application and found this statement. From the TM "Diagram E-4 - Tank Sending Unit - Located on the left frame rail"

Diagram E-4 is only a wiring diagram and does not help with placement. I was unable to locate where this properly goes does anyone have a better idea or picture that they can help me with.

Ive also youtube'ed and googled the subject pretty good and im not finding any answers... any help is welcomed.

I have no real experience dealing with fuel sending units and gauges in general and would love any help or insight someone can provide.

Thanks.

cucvrus

Fuel tank ground wire fix

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?144523-Terminus-M1009

Check out post # 153 on my Terminus M1009 thread. I reattached a broken ground wire to Terminus M1009 and the fuel gauge has worked flawlessly ever since. Clean the rust from the frame and use a good self tapping bolt with a star washer to bite in a bit. Neverseize and paint help keep it grounded. Good Luck. Report back.

Last edited:

Mg84648

Mine was stuck at 1/4 tank. I re-terminated the ground on the frame and cleaned up the three contacts on the back of the gauge and mine has been fine ever since. Hopefully it's not your tank unit.

OGMurph

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?144523-Terminus-M1009

Check out post # 153 on my Terminus M1009 thread. I reattached a broken ground wire to Terminus M1009 and the fuel gauge has worked flawlessly ever since. Clean the rust from the frame and use a good self tapping bolt with a star washer to bite in a bit. Neverseize and paint help keep it grounded. Good Luck. Report back.
Did that and it still doesnt work...

do you have an idea the next step? Where to diagnose next? Thanks for the help.

OGMurph

Mine was stuck at 1/4 tank. I re-terminated the ground on the frame and cleaned up the three contacts on the back of the gauge and mine has been fine ever since. Hopefully it's not your tank unit.
So you're saying you pulled off the instrument panel and looked at the gauge? How hard was that?

Mg84648

It's not bad. Remove the bezel, I think it's 8 screws. Then remove the clear plastic and the 2 screws, if I remember correctly, holding the fuel gauge in place. Then just pull it out. You will see three screws on the back of the gauge, those are the contacts you need to clean with a scotch brite pad and contact cleaner. Clean up the prongs on the dash cluster also.
It takes 30 minutes start to finish if your taking your time and drinking a beverage [thumbzup]

OGMurph

Im having some trouble getting it of.. did you peal it from the front side or did you take the whole white cluster out? I cant get the black frame off the front end of the gauges.. and i dont wanna **** it.

OGMurph

Show a picture of the gauge. Where is the needle pointing?
Hey Cucvrus,

The needle has a little stick to it and it has always been on empty sense ive owned the truck.

Like i said i found an ungrounded wire yesterday. i got a really good connected ground to the chassis now and.. i scrubbed the connectors on the panel and gauge and still no joy.

the needle doesnt feel like the speedometer where its much softer the gauge needle is quite stiff.

Mg84648

When you move the needle using a finger it will feel slightly heavy but smooth. If it is hard to move or gritty feeling it's definitely bad.

cucvrus

I agree with Mg84648. If it were mine I would remove the fuel tank. On the M1009 that can be a challenge. But it is not an expensive repair if you need any parts for the sending unit or the dash gauge. I have a gauge in my Mule M1009 that goes to 3 o'clock when I fill it up. And then it runs low on fuel at about the 1/8 tank mark. It don't bother me enough to pull the tank. But one day I will do that. I know mine will come out easy. I had it out a few years back and used all new bolts and never seize on all the bolts. But removing it and changing the sending unit and removing or replacing the fuel sock is a must do maintenance item at this point. I think you will all around happier if you start doing some R & R and clean and paint of a few of the items you are having problems with. you can always ask here and get a straight answer from someone. Good Luck. I am here to help anytime. I seldom read TM's I just do it. Trial and error are and always have been my best teacher. I have a flip phone so the internet is not in my pocket. I carry a Leatherman/utility knife and a flashlight with me at all times. That is my protection and tool kit. Dive in and get at that fuel tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks