• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to bench test a fuel gauge?

Guyfang

Staff member
The gage you have, does it work? Have you ever seen it work? Or you want to see if it or the sending unit works? Are you electronically inclined? Or know someone who is? You can test the meter using a variable resistor. That's all the sending unit is, in essence. A variable resistor.

OGMurph

I have some electrical know how but I'm not the greatest. I've never seen the gauge work.. i've had the ground pulled on the sender and it doesn't effect the gauge.. so it could be the sender as well.. but I'm not ready to drop the tank this week.. could I Jerry rig a battery or something like that? To get the needle to jump or show a sign of life. Or death..

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, you could do that. But that still doesn't mean it's good, or accurate.

With a 5K-ohm variable resistor, (VR) you could probably test it properly. Most of the fuel gages in the military are about the same. The sending unit is a variable resistor. When a 5K VR is adjusted with a multimeter, 216-265 ohms, then hooked up to the meter, (pos side to S terminal on the meter, and neg to the G terminal) and then 24 volts applied, the meter should read about empty. When the VR is adjusted to 29.7 - 36.3, the meter should read full. The reading can be about 1/8 inch off, one way or another. I could post the whole procedure, its from a gen set, but most gages, like I say, are about the same.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly the Gage should go to full when you remove the wire from sending unit.
I know it moves one way or the other pegged full or pegged empty.
If it doesn't move the Gage is dead.

The sending unit can be checked by putting a ohm meter on the wires and moving float up and down ohms will change 0 to 13 again if I remember correctly.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, you could do that. But that still doesn't mean it's good, or accurate.

With a 5K-ohm variable resistor, (VR) you could probably test it properly. Most of the fuel gages in the military are about the same. The sending unit is a variable resistor. When a 5K VR is adjusted with a multimeter, 216-265 ohms, then hooked up to the meter, (pos side to S terminal on the meter, and neg to the G terminal) and then 24 volts applied, the meter should read about empty. When the VR is adjusted to 29.7 - 36.3, the meter should read full. The reading can be about 1/8 inch off, one way or another. I could post the whole procedure, its from a gen set, but most gages, like I say, are about the same.
Would appreciate you posting what you have from the genset. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member

richingalveston

it is a dual system but all gauges work off of 12 volt. only thing that is 24 is starter so it is not like all other military trucks. just use 12 volt to test and not 24

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks