• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to bypass heater core? Help appreciated!

ncreptile

M998 owner here, trying to learn to do things myself rather than the lazy/shop route.

Coolant is pissing out on passengers feet. Reservoir is low. HMMWV is getting hotter. Green line is current level.
EPB1YiN.jpg
I do not have the time(moving) to replace the heater core anytime soon. That said just how do I bypass it? What hoses do I connect and is there a suggested method of doing this?
Z41D3tO.jpg

Again I really appreciate anyone taking the time to help. If someone wants to use microsoft paint to edit my bottom picture and show this idiot exactly what hoses to connect and where I will gladly paypal them $5 for their time. I don't want to experimenting on my own and end up hurting the engine.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.2_LI.jpg
Emergency fix is trace those two hoses from pic #2 back to the block. One up high, one a little lower, put a loop of hose between the two ports. Done. I just replaced my entire heater section, core, hoses, valve etc. I got rid of the leaky steel pipes in between the core and the engine. Hope this pic helps.

Last edited:

ncreptile

So just get rid of those two hoses entirely and put a hose connecting the port on lower part of block to the other port higher up?

It's a small world.. Guess what town in NC I also live in? :)

If you can confirm the first question for me shoot me a PM with your paypal and I'll send you over that $5(I insist). Or I'll buy you a beer at the skinny bar(which I think just moved next door).

View attachment 730104
Emergency fix is trace those two hoses from pic #2 back to the block. One up high, one a little lower, put a loop of hose between the two ports. Done. I just replaced my entire heater section, core, hoses, valve etc. I got rid of the leaky steel pipes in between the core and the engine. Hope this pic helps.

Last edited:

Action

If you had the water valve that belongs on the hose, clisest to windshield, you could close it. But, you are missing that.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well hello neighbor, lol! Yes you can just connect a section of 5/8” hose to those ports and create a loop for the coolant flow. About 3 feet would probably be enough to make a loop and not kink. No money required. Happy to help.

Augi

No need to go all the way back to the block. I just had the same problem with my heater core and while I had it out at the shop I put a short loop between the valve and the steel line directly next to it.

Augi

DUECE-COUPE

Field fix. Disconnect the two lines by the coolant tank, and put a sick the same diameter as the heater core on them and use the same clamps you loosened to secure it. You are just trying to block of the heater core, you don’t have to loop it back to the block, just closing the system. I did this on a dodge van with rear heating. Used a section of a tree branch to create the block off. Easy peasy!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks