• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to check IP?

Greggz

My truck hasn't run in a week. I've searched the post's. Got my glo pugs working, two were bad. When I turn the key on and disconnect the pink wire to the IP nothing happens. Isn't it supposed to click or something?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greggz look at your post a bit more in detail please, we do not have any information to help you. All we know is the following

1.) truck has not run in a week-what was the last time it ran? what happened next?
2.) got glow plugs working: why where you chasing down glow plugs? How did you troubleshoot and how do you know they are working now?
3.) turn key on an nothing happens: so starter does not turn over? starter turns over and it does not fire?

There are no mind readers here on SS

Greggz

Ty. I'm sorry about that.
Last Tues I started the truck normally, she fired right up inspite of the cold. I went in my house to get something and the truck stalled. I could not restart. I posted a thread and asked for advice. After reading other threads I got a test light and some more glo plugs. I disconnected all the glo plug wires, clamped my tester to the positive battery terminal, and touched it to each glo plug. Two showed bad. I replaced those, and truck still won't start. In the thread that described how to test the plugs, the poster was also told that if that didn't work, unplug the pink wire from the IP. I did. That. I never heard any solenoid. Click. Any ideas?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the test light on the pink wire.

Attach the clamp to a ground. Turn on the key and connect the light to the pink wire.

do you have a voltmeter?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put your test light on the pink wire and see if you are getting juice with the key on. If not, you have electrical issues (better than having IP issues). The solenoid inside the IP should make a click when you put power to it.

hovenga67

Sometimes the solenoid goes bad on the pump. If you are getting power it should be opening. If you take off the top of the pump and hook power to it. It should move. It must be grounded though. I had a pump go bad that wouldn't run at all also.
Brent

Greggz

Today I cracked a fuel line, plenty of fuel, also the Ford solenoid on the firewall for my gp. Was bad replaced it with new. Added diesel 911 to fuel. Turns over fine, wont.start

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greggz

Questions:
1.) When you are turning over the vehicle is the exhaust pouring out white smoke?
2.) Does the GP relay click when you turn the key on? does the GP light go out in approximately 10-20 seconds?
3.) What is the temperature outside when you are trying to start?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to buy a multimeter. Makes testing electrical stuff easier.

Since you have a test light, connect the lead to the positive terminal on the front battery and the light to terminal where the pink wire attaches. Tell us what the light does.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FORD solenoid?

You better explain. The relay commonly used in a Ford is NOT correct for a cucv gp system and will NOT work properly and will RUIN your GPs.

What part number did you buy and use?

fwiw, common parts are listed in the cucv wiki, which is easily used with a computer.

Greggz

Ok, pink wire. The one for the IP? When I disconnect it and put the test light on it with the key on, it lights up.
The Ford solenoid, the shop I bought the truck from put the gp on a push button wired through a Ford solenoid, the light on the dash doesent work. Goin out right now and gonna use the test light to check where the pink wire plugs into, the wire itself is hot

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so if your wired up with only a manual pushbutton for your GPs, then you'll be ok.

Just know that if you ever want to use the GP controller card, that relay will be incompatible.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to have to take the top cover off of the IP and check the internal coil. It may be gummed up or it may be bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks