• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to Deaden Noise from X-doors

erasedhammer

If anyone is annoyed at the amount the x doors vibrate, shake, and create noise, boy do I have a solution for you.

My Backstory:

So when I first got my humvee, I took it off-roading after a couple of weeks of getting things in order. It was very fun, but the main downside was the sheer noise the x doors made just from banging around on rough road.
I sought a solution and the first one I came up with was to put the supplemental armor on the doors to stiffen them up. I was willing to take the extra weight for a quiet door. But this didn't get rid of the problem. The doors were stiff and didn't move, but now the windows were making tons of noise whenever I was off-road or on really rough pavement.
I ignored this for a while because I didn't think it could be fixed. So whenever I went over a pothole or rough pavement the windows made a sympathy of clatter that would sometimes be louder than the engine.

And the solution:
So I was browsing youtube looking at humvee videos when I came across a video showing some x-door modifications. One of them was about deadening the window rattle.
(for those of you who haven't seen the video here it is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9apT11Y-s

I picked up the house window weatherstripping seal at my local home depot (20ft) of it for $16, and went to work. When I was done the difference was amazing. Life changing.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...-Auto-and-Marine-Weatherstrip-01033/100175299

I took it out on the road to a length of pavement that was particularly rough and filled with bumps. Normally the windows would be rattling and creating tons of noise on that road, but when I went on it... the doors were completely silent!
Found a really rough field and took it out there, and I could not believe how quiet the doors were. The only noise was the engine.

If your x-doors made as much sound as mine, I would highly suggest Supplemental Armor+rubber weatherstripping to make them completely silent!

Side note: IMO, the weatherstripping (at minimum) should be the first thing done to any humvee that people purchase. Makes the ride so much smoother.

erasedhammer

This is a great fix. What else have you done for sound?
I've insulated the inside side portion of the body. Does more for heat than for sound
I have two layers of thick rubber in the center console, with a lead sheet in one of the rubber sheets. Keeps drivetrain noise and heat down.

I am planning on getting a full undercoating do help deaden road noise.
Then of course I will be putting in a 4l80 very soon.

timfi

Quieting X-Doors

If anyone is annoyed at the amount the x doors vibrate, shake, and create noise, boy do I have a solution for you.

My Backstory:

So when I first got my humvee, I took it off-roading after a couple of weeks of getting things in order. It was very fun, but the main downside was the sheer noise the x doors made just from banging around on rough road.
I sought a solution and the first one I came up with was to put the supplemental armor on the doors to stiffen them up. I was willing to take the extra weight for a quiet door. But this didn't get rid of the problem. The doors were stiff and didn't move, but now the windows were making tons of noise whenever I was off-road or on really rough pavement.
I ignored this for a while because I didn't think it could be fixed. So whenever I went over a pothole or rough pavement the windows made a sympathy of clatter that would sometimes be louder than the engine.

And the solution:
So I was browsing youtube looking at humvee videos when I came across a video showing some x-door modifications. One of them was about deadening the window rattle.
(for those of you who haven't seen the video here it is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9apT11Y-s

I picked up the house window weatherstripping seal at my local home depot (20ft) of it for $16, and went to work. When I was done the difference was amazing. Life changing.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...-Auto-and-Marine-Weatherstrip-01033/100175299

I took it out on the road to a length of pavement that was particularly rough and filled with bumps. Normally the windows would be rattling and creating tons of noise on that road, but when I went on it... the doors were completely silent!
Found a really rough field and took it out there, and I could not believe how quiet the doors were. The only noise was the engine.

If your x-doors made as much sound as mine, I would highly suggest Supplemental Armor+rubber weatherstripping to make them completely silent!

Side note: IMO, the weatherstripping (at minimum) should be the first thing done to any humvee that people purchase. Makes the ride so much smoother.
I can't thank you enough for the excellent solution to rattling, noisy X-doors! The home depot 19/32 inch weatherstripping fits perfectly along the window track and really tightened things up. I also used some thick double back tape (removing only one side) to wrap the long door opening rod that tends to rattle against its cover in 3 spots. These solutions have made my x-doors silent running (without supplemental armor) which I never thought possible, I was ready to sell them and try soft doors. Thanks so much!

If anyone has more suggestions on quieting the cab/interior from engine/drivetrain noise that would be appreciated as well? Pretty much wear ear protection when I drive and its difficult to hold a conversation inside.