• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to dump with a M101A1

joecool509

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a GenSet Trailer with Genset removed. It is a M101A1 Trailer but if I only remove the two bolts that hold the bed down in front, there are bolts by the forward leaf spring connection that appear to connect the draw bar to the leafs keeping it front dumping.

How do you get this trailer to dump, add some more removable pins where the leaf bracket connects to the draw bar?

Thanks upfront for the help.
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at the tech manual for the trailer? It is not made to be a dumping trailer.

I suppose you found nothing searching " M101 dump" in the trailer forums?

Or you didn't look at the similar titles that popped up when you entered your title(before you submitted your post).

Here's one that was automatically suggested before you submitted your post.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/24759-m101a1-modified-dump.html

joecool509

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did look at the other thread that popped up. Nothing useful. Maybe it is just my type of trailer since it was for a genset? Seems like a few have done this but it would be useful.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some have "converted" them to dump. It is far from "ideal" as a dump trailer, but if that's what you want then try it.

KsM715

Loosen the bolts close to the springs a bit. You may have to use a prybar at the front of the trailer between the box and frame to get it started. Where those two long bolts hold the box down on the frame, its a pretty tight fit there, after you get losse the first time you may have to grind down the block on the box to get a looser fit.

Did you lock the hand brakes?

Edit: DH is right. It is not meant to dump. Its actually meant to unbolt near the springs and fold the tongue up in front of the box for transport. Youll notice the bolts near the springs are not parallel (sp?) to the frame and will want to bind when you dump it.

Last edited:

Nick

Jeff has got it right.

Although its not designed to dump, it will. You need to loosen the bolts, and it will bind due to the angle of the frame. For this reason, you need to make sure the brakes are tightly adjusted so when locked, the wheels wont overpower the brakes and continue to roll.

Been there done that. Also make sure there is no weight on the front of the trailer. Dont ask me how I know this!!

Nick