• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to excite Alt.

csramsey640

OK, I swapped in a new cluster, just so I would have oil presssure, temp, and 2 volt gauges. Until this point everything works fine, but the CUCV dash guage wouldnt register into the green until I drove the truck for a mile or so. Now its nothing, about 1/2 way up the red on the oem gauge.

After reading some posts on here, I realized the connection between the "dummy" bulbs and the charging. However I think I may need to incorporate something like this in my cluster.

From the diagram, I can see that both brown wires are the ones that went to the original dummy lights. I will try two small lights and see if this works.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

You could rig a switch to excite the alt, thats what most do on Ford 8N's when converted to 12v with the GM alt. Bat. to switch with a inline fuse then to the alt. Or just talk dirty to your alt.

Last edited:

csramsey640

The mags might just do the trick:-D Well, IM not sure if that is totally the issue now. I ran a light inline(like a dummy light) But the light on the pass side never went out, and the drivers side never lit up. I drove for a while and the OEM dash gauge went to the point right between the yellow and green(low side) and my gauge showed 13 volts.

Im guessing my next step is having the alt checked at a shop?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks