• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to filter used moter oil??

wacak20

hey all, i was wondering, how on earth do you filter used motor oil? i posted in the correct spot this time :-D unlike my last post to which i posted in the wrong spot lol

by how do you filter, i mean what are the steps. i work at a auto shop and we constantly have to drain the 55 gallon drums of used oil almost every two weeks. costs management like 100 bucks a barrel i think. and i figure, not only could i advance and possibly get that management position, but i could get an unlimited amount of fuel as well! win win situation i think..

but what are the steps and how long does it take? do i have to buy anything special at all?

thanks all!

Alredneck

Banned
I used sediment filters down to 5microns available at lowes or home depot. SOme use centrifuges but they cost more but really filter the heck out of some oil. The better filtered it is the less worries you will have and fewer stopped up filters.

Theres a great deal of info on this subject in the alternative fuels forum. Lots of reading to keep you up at night!

wacak20

ok so one person said use a centrifuge and another said use a sediment filter down to five microns.

i know the centrifuge is better and ill have to check in on that. how well does it run on oil from the sediment filter?

Alredneck

Banned
Ive got about 140bucks in my lowes bought setup, including a small electric pump to do the dirty work. I have over 5k miles in Apoc alone mostly on 100% used motor oil. She can be hard to start in the cold, blows blues smoke till warmed to operating temp. Runs quiter and smoother. If I had the extra dough I would spring for the centrifuge. I been wanting one for awhile now. The best advise, always keep extra sets of fuel filters in youre rig no matter what! Tranny fluid needs to be filtered really well as the clutch material will eat a IP in know time. It also scores the pistons,rings and cyl wall. Ask me how I know, I burnt a LDS running it! I didnt filter as well ( used 20mic filters on a 12v pump ) cause I was in a hurry. If I would of took my time and did it right would still be able to drive that truck around but hey, live and learn!

Back in 07 I was stationed at Eglin AFB while in the Army. Gas was $5 a gal. I was able to get 400+ gals of used motor oil for free from the self help shop. Needless to say, big E-5 pay was not enough to drive the dastily dodge on gas so I parked it and drove all over in Apoc. Pissed off a lot of commanders. No ground guide parking a MV in inappropiate areas. but my retort was its a POV!:beer:

wacak20

haha alright Alredneck ill try it your way for a while and then use the centrifuge idea when i have money.

as a thought, just too see what you say, what if i take like three of the filters put them three inches apart or so. possibly less or even on top of each other and then just use a small pump to push it through the filters. would that give me more of a cleaner oil? just a thought..

Alredneck

Banned
I have two filter inline. One is 10mics the other is 5mics. 10mics I consider a prefilter to make my 5mic filters last longer.

Read through the alternative fuel forum guys on here have built all kinds of setups from scrap around the house/shop to boocoo money. I got my idea from some guys on here that did the same thing. SO it does work, is it the best out there, no. But Im not worried about trashing my multi, I want a LDS transplanted in its place anyway! Its your truck do what you can live with!

Alredneck

Banned
If in Memphis stop by, got a few more plus some 5tons lying around we can take to the bottoms and make it hard for the buggy guys to get through.

Keep in mind, the more filters inline the harder it is to pump the oil through. If the oil is warmed it flows easier ( havent figured that out yet for my setup ). Also how far away your stash is being pumped from and to. Measured in head/lift get the biggest pump if you are not close to your oil oasis!