• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to find the Unit where my CUCV M1009 was originally or last assigned?

Jake59

Hi all,

I heard there is someone in the forum who can provide information about the unit where our CUCV was assigned to during it's military use, based on the VIN, bu I have not been able to find this posting.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Late but Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year wholeheartedly to all !!

Jake

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you’re lucky, any paperwork left behind will give you some info.
Bumper numbers will hopefully show last unit assignments. (Some sanding will usually reveal older numbers and different unit(s)).

Other than that, you’ll need a Time Machine.
The DOD purged the CUCV vehicle records long ago.

There are several threads about it.

Jake59

Hi guys,

I heard there are several threads on this subject and seaerched, but probably used the wrong search wods and came out empty... pointers welcome!!

Unfortunately I have no DoD paperwork or anything alike with my M1009.
The VIN is about the best reference I have... or perhaps the tag on te inside of driver side door has some cntract information or alike on there?

I haven't started sanding down for a complete repaint job (still to be done!) so perhaps I may find some number on the bumpers... I hope.

What I do know is that on the outside, this M1009 was completely painted yellow at some stage... from what I heard it was used by the US AF on an Air Force base in Belgium, as their "follow me" or something alike ( Florennes Air Base (French: Base aérienne de Florennes), also known as Base Jean Offenberg, (ICAO: EBFS) ). This is one of the few AF bases in Europe where the US holds special weapon systems if you get my drift.

From 1984 to 1990, the US Air Force 485th Tactical Missile Wing was operational here, as was 2135th Communications Squadron and Detachment 3, 31st Weather Squadron.
Any enlightenment on what the markings for any of these units could look liek welcome?

Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks