• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to: Fit 395/85R20 tires without rubbing

Chris Deuce

Hi, I've been running 395/85R20 tires on my deuce for a little while now and had the rubbing issues that everyone experiences on stock split ring rims and decided to tackle this problem.

First step is to remove and reverse the stock steering arm between the pitman arm and knuckle arm (terminology?). If you look at this arm, you'll notice that the front end is about 1.5-2" longer past the ball mount than the rear portion. Undo the cotter pins on both sides, unscrew the giant flathead looking end caps (will require some muscle, patience, and creativity), remove arm, reverse, and re-install using new cotter pins. For the forward cotter pin, install it only on the inner hole so the tire doesn't rip it off if you experience rubbing.

I used a giant flathead screwdriver with a vise grip perpendicular and unscrewed it that way. The forward end has the cap, a spring, and a spacer that I'm assuming is used to dampen the wheels slightly and keep the arm tight on the ball. After reversing make sure to grease the zerk fittings on the arm and check your clearance.

This alone will get you to within 3/8" of full steering capabilities of the deuce. Add in 3/8" longer wheel studs, three 3/4"x1/8" thick washers as spacers, and new lug nuts and you will get full steering capabilities with 395/85R20 tires on stock split ring rims.

(I know, I know, don't use washers as wheel spacers.... but it's 3/8" total on longer studs and the clamping force is what does the holding via friction and centered via the lug nuts. The rim is still centered over the hub and lug nuts torqued down to 500 ft-lbs.)

Chris Deuce

The MRAP setup looks nice, but super expensive. At $1500-2000 I'd rather throw engineering, creativity, and time at a problem than money. Total setup for me was under $100 plus probably 12 hours of measuring, testing, and coming up with a solution.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think you'd be better off if you were to machine the center off a rim, so you are left with a circle that has the deuce bolt pattern. Then put that on the hub with thimble nuts like on a rear - dualled set up. Then put your stock rim on that with the budd nuts. Now you have a 1/2 inch(I believe) spacer that has been in use for decades and will probably not crack your studs like washers will.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My center offset rims don't rub. I have a couple of spare ones if you're interested, we're close by (I'm in B'ham) if you want to consider it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I like the center of the rim idea. I tried the thimbles first and wasn't comfortable running them inside.
Christ, I made that mistake ONCE!
I ended up with 4 of the 6 studs on my drivers side front snapped. Thats why I said to use a rim center section. If the rim isn't tight against the hub (or supported by the correct spacer) your in for big trouble.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm all about doing things as cheaply as possible. But broken wheel studs don't appeal to me, and MRAP rims aren't that expensive. $75-$100 for aluminum, and $35-$50 for steel. Adapter plates at $100 each.

Frequently you can get 395s mounted on MRAP rims for the same price as dismounted tires.

Anyway, no criticism intended. I watch to see what you come up with and how well it works.

The King Machine

tires.jpg

Better safe to over build it than under. That's what I say.

I know about the rubbing issue, I just extended the steering stops until I could afford to buy HEMTT wheels. I was still able to wheel it over some rough and tight areas.
The other reasons for changing to proper set up is the stock rim is narrow for 395's. Pack a full size spare on a rim for obvious reasons. I also spun the tire on the rim when I had the tires aired right down.

But being creative could get you out of a jam one day so I hope your set up functions as planned

Chris Deuce

Thank you everyone for your cautions and lessons learned. I'm going to mount the driver side front wheel in the stock configuration and anticipate only 1/8" interference with the steering arm, and I'll adjust the stop to prevent rubbing. All in all, flipping that steering arm does gain you a good bit of clearance, resulting in a close to stock turning ability without any other modifications. I have duty tomorrow, but will post some pics on Saturday of the finished product.