• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HOW TO : Fix Seat Cushions

dm22630

I come up with good (CHEAP) ways to fix things on deuces from time to time....so here is my project today.

Today I fixed the worn out passenger bench seat in one of my deuces. Very simple fix & can be done with simple hand tools.

Fix Time = 2 hours

Cost = FREE

Parts needed:

a) Two (FREE) foam couch cushions
b) New rope/phone wire (to secure canvas, the old rope will be worn out).

I pulled the bench seat out to do this, however, that is NOT required & would be easier to do if I had left it in place.

Step by Step below.....

1. Remove both seat cushions from the truck (they are held in place by cotter pins).
2. Seperate canvas cover, padding, base/springs from seat cushion.
3. Cut two standard foam couch cushions in half using a razor blade (MUCH easier with two people).
4. Lay the two halfs side by side, set the deuce cushion frame on top & trace with a marker (leave 1" extra of cushion all the way around).
5. Cut foam to fit & place inside of the canvas cover.
6. Place cushion frame on top, fold edge of canvas over top of the frame, tie with new rope/wire.
7. Reinstall "new" cushions in your deuce & enjoy!

DONE! :wink:

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great How-To.

A couple of additions.
If the canvas is thin, use the material from a pup tent, they are cheap.
To cut the foam use an electric carving knife, a large tooth hand saw, or a firewood bow saw.
A wire saw works good too.
And if you want to get rid of the seam where the two pieces of foam meet, 3M Spray adhesive the pieces together, then wrap in quilt batting.
There was probably quilt batting wrapped on the foam when it came out of the couch cushion.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea!! Foam isn't cheap to buy... I also plan on using shelter halves as seat covers, but I plan on heavy canvas under them since the shelter halves are pretty thin. They can be replaced when warn without much work.

Thanks!!

dm22630

Great idea!! Foam isn't cheap to buy... I also plan on using shelter halves as seat covers, but I plan on heavy canvas under them since the shelter halves are pretty thin. They can be replaced when warn without much work.

Thanks!!

A yard of 3" foam is $39.99 @ the local fabric store!

I got that much out of one cushion! All of a sudden.....I am kicking myself for all the couches I threw away this year.... :doh:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome thread, Daniel! I will be replacing my seats, but the HEMTT seats I got need new cushions, so I will have to try this....

oilcan

One more thing that could be helpful is stretching a sheet of plastic beween the canvas and the cushion. It'll take less time to dry when you leave the top off in the rain.