• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How-to: fixing a leaky outside axle seal

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I've had this truck in March, the truck has developed a leak in the outer rear passenger side hub seal, which would belch axle lube out during operation, and leave an unsightly blob of 90W gear lube on the hub. Eventually, if not dealt with, all the 90W would leak out of the axle housing through the bad seal, and you'd burn up your bearings and gears in the rear axle. Not good.

Today, I finally got around to playing with it. Thought I would do an interesting step-by-step to show my progress. Hope you enjoy my playing with the camera, and my truck.

Picture 1: The situation as is was. Leaky axle seal has puked 90W all over the hub. This is only the excess that has seeped out since it has been sitting. As it is flying down the road, the 90W is bring flung in all directions. Eewwww...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 2: Using a 1/2" socket wrench, start unbolting the 8 bolts holding the axle shaft/seal together. I had a tube of Permatex Ultra-Black Hi-Temp RTV Silicone on hand. The original seal was paper. I had no paper seal, but this stuff is great for making your own seal.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 4: This is the only remains of the original seal. About 120 degrees worth of the entire circle, the remaining 240 degrees was completely missing, leaving a big gap for all the 90W to leak out of.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 6: Same pic, but I have drawn a clockwise arrow. Sliding the axle shaft back in, the bolt holes wouldn't line up. The deuce had shifted just a tiny bit, and caused the rear drivetrain to turn a couple degrees, so the axle splines wouldn't go in at the exact spot to line up with the bolt holes. The axle had to turn about 10 degrees clockwise, as shown by the arrow, to line up.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 8: THEN, spin the opposite side tires in the clockwise direction. Since the deuce has open differentials, when you spin the wheels on one side clockwise, the opposite side tires will also spin clockwise, in the opposite direction (in other words, both wheels won't turn backwards, or forwards, but opposite each other).

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In the future Mike, if you jack up a tire first, that will release the "wind up" in the tandems. It will also keep from stripping the threads on the axle bolts when you take them out.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 9: With the bolt holes now lined up, put ALL the bolts back in just slightly, you will have to play with it a little bit in order for the axle shaft/seal to line up with the bolt holes, don't torque one down before seating the next bolt.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 10: The manual states between 80 and 110 psi torqueing down all the bolts, I don't own a torque wrench so I just lean into it. 245 lbs goes a long way to testing the limits of the hardware, and your tools.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 12: Last pic. Wipe off the excess RTV with a junk rag. If the RTV has oozed a little out of the seal the ENTIRE way around the seal after torqueing down the bolts, you did good.

Hope you enjoyed. At least I get a free new socket out of this. :)

Attachments

ida34

Check your vent caps to make sure they are releasing pressure. If they are clogged or not working right (like many have in the past) then the pressure will build and push the gear oil out. I am doing wheel seals on the rears on mine right now. Last year the vents got clogged and took out the left side seals. I replaced all the vents with new ones. I will check the vents again before I get it all put back together. I am on a time table. I have to get it done before Friday so I can make the Clare Michigan show.

jwaller

no need to jack up the opposite side to line up the axle. simply jack up the side your working on and spin the tire till it lines up. much easier than guessing from the other side. :)

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good job mike and others. Just a very brief story. When I needed a gasket when I was in Ft Sill OK I just used a file folder, use the ball peen hammer tap out the shape put it on The rtv works great to . Mike now do one on the inner seal or just come help me on mine. :?: :(

Neil

FormerNewMVGuy

I pulled all my axle shafts and removed all the back tires so i could spin the brake drum and adjust the brake shoes with my feeler guage, So what im saying is, while you have the axle out, you might as well adjust the brakes!

dentman

does this mod apply to the inner axle seal as well? i moved the deuce today from the backyard to the driveway and after sitting a few hours i found a 5 inch puddle of oil around the inner axle. it leaked down the inner wheel as shown in maddawg' pic 1