• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How to get a HET in life..." - M1070 Acquisition thread

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was comparing the drivetrains of the M1070 versions available to us and the newer Cat powered version the military is upgrading to and was surprised. I know I will never be able to get a hold of a C18 to re power with and it would be too long at the current spot. (A C18 would cost twice or more then what you can buy a whole m1070 for now).But what a difference it must make, I am not talking so much about the HP increase which is definitely significant (+200) but more importantly the torque. I haven t found an exact torque rating on 8v92 version used in the M1070, but it appears to be around 1250. The CAT C18 in an industrial rating (I have never found one rated as a vehicle power plant other then in the new 1070) for one putting out 700 hp is in turn rated at 2419 ft. pounds. If these numbers are correct thats **** near double the torque, then add another 2 gears.. But ours do have a 2 speed transfer case which to me is a decent plus. They also look better!
Here is what the TM has to say -

M1070

MakeDetroit Diesel Corporation
Model8V92TA DDEC II or III/IV
Type2-Stroke, V-Type Diesel, Turbocharged, Aftercooled
Cylinders8
Bore4.84 in. (123 mm)
Stroke5 in. (127 mm)
Displacement736 cid (12.1 L)
Torque (at 2100 rpm)1470 lb-ft (1993 N·m)
Maximum Brake Horsepower (at 2100 rpm)500 BHP (373 kW)
Maximum Governed Engine Speed (Loaded)2050 - 2150 rpm
Oil Filter TypeFull Flow, Replaceable Element
Oil Filter Quantity1

M1070A1

MakeCaterpillar
ModelC-18 Euro III
Type4 Stroke, Inline-Type Diesel, Turbocharged, Aftercooled
Cylinders6
Bore5.71 in. (145mm)
Stroke7.2 in. (183mm)
Displacement1,106 cid (18.1 L)
Torque (At 1,400 RPM)1900 lb-ft (1400* N·m)
Maximum Brake Horsepower (at 2100 rpm)700 hp SAE (522 kW)
Maximum Governed Engine Speed (Loaded)2,300 rpm
Oil Filter TypeFull Flow, Replaceable Element
Oil Filter Quantity2

*My TM says 1400 N·m, but 1900 lb-ft is really 2576 newton meters.

whiskey357

Banned
Great news on getting one ...they are comeing up for GL sale a lot more......looks like a Tonka truck for the big kids............................happy for ya ....many more miles and smiles heheheheheheh any offers for towing stuff yet ??????????????

tims931a2

For you guys that got the HET is it a permitted load truck cause of weight or not? I was just curious do to the weight and size of the truck. Not sure if it on a RGN if it was able to get under height and be under 80k total weight.

Bighurt

For you guys that got the HET is it a permitted load truck cause of weight or not? I was just curious do to the weight and size of the truck. Not sure if it on a RGN if it was able to get under height and be under 80k total weight.
I would anticipate it.

However a double drop RGN should handle a single HET and stay under permit for most haulers.

ke5eua

If you ever get one drive it home. Experience life to the fullest, and that fuel bill. One good thing about driving it home is you have a place to sleep, and if your wife is in the chase so does she, bunk beds in the back.

cadmo

For shipping a HET is there anyway getting around using a rgn lowboy for height?

Would removing the front tires, setting the axles on bocks so the hubs are touching the deck work to load on a 36" step deck?

can someone measure the height savings?

whiskey357

Banned
Great shots ....lots of green with eney...hehehe looking good....So how do the people at the wal-mart think of it when you pull in for the wifes shopping trip heheheh

Bighurt

For shipping a HET is there anyway getting around using a rgn lowboy for height?

Would removing the front tires, setting the axles on bocks so the hubs are touching the deck work to load on a 36" step deck?

can someone measure the height savings?
If you took the wheels off and sat it on the deck it would be 13' 5".

Anything double drop will work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks