• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How to get a HET in life..." - M1070 Acquisition thread

Shark Bait

There were some things that were not readily apparent to me about the HET when I first saw them in detail online. Here are some of those things -

The convoy light is a Model 14 just like the typical military convoy lights, though it is 12v. Even has the same dumb toggle bolts for some reason.

View attachment 462423

The engine oil and transmission oil dipsticks are above the fuel tank and below the cab. Engine oil and fuel filters are also there. All of these are accessible without raising the hood. Additionally, the hole in the driver's side of the hood is so you can observe the engine coolant sight glass from outside.

View attachment 462416

There is a large, lockable storage compartment at the back of the engine doghouse in the cab.

View attachment 462418

There is a SINCGARS sugar scoop mount behind the cab. A sugar scoop and matching unit mounted right up with no modifcations.

View attachment 462421

Nothing in particular, I just thought this was a cool picture. Though you can see that the S-cam canisters are above the axles instead of below them. All 3 axles on the rear tridem have spring/parking brakes.

View attachment 462420

The CTIS system is made by CM Automotive, the same manufacturer as the CTIS on the M35A3, (uh oh...) but so far mine is working just fine. Oddly, the on/off switch is tiny and very easy to accidentally move to the other position. On a truck that is full of overbuilt, beefy items, its almost lacking.

View attachment 462419

The winch platform ladder swings out to allow access to the batteries, which roll out on a tray and are protected inside a box.

View attachment 462424

A shot of the auxiliary 3000 lb winch. It is also hydraulic and is used to pull out the main winches.

View attachment 462425

The rear 55,000 lb winches have an air powered tensioner that is simply some small air bags behind a hinge that levers a bar onto the winch cable.

View attachment 462422

The air conditioner isn't an air conditioner - just a ventilator/blower. As long as the outside air temperature is lower than what is in the truck, it actually works out pretty well. Its probably a hairdryer in the summer.

View attachment 462417
I've read through but didn't see a comment stating different, you show the two filters above the fuel tank being fuel and engine oil filter. On mine they are fuel and transmission filter with engine oil filter being tucked in a tight cranny on the passenger side of the engine. Am I incorrect? I know this is an old thread but its a cold boring day, nothing else better to do than read cool threads on bada$$ trucks. Lol.

Thanks,
Dave

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've read through but didn't see a comment stating different, you show the two filters above the fuel tank being fuel and engine oil filter. On mine they are fuel and transmission filter with engine oil filter being tucked in a tight cranny on the passenger side of the engine. Am I incorrect? I know this is an old thread but its a cold boring day, nothing else better to do than read cool threads on bada$$ trucks. Lol.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,

I must have been in a hurry when I posted that or something, because you're right, it is the transmisssion filter.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was actually from a while back - last year's Mesa, AZ Veteran's Day parade. A lady in an Excursion ran into the back of my parked HET.

Bent my gladhand covers and left some white paint on my truck. Her truck did not fair so well.

Attachments

Powershift

There is something about large military vehicles being hit while they're parked!!

My 5 ton has been backed into 6 times now in the parking lot at my shop. Just goes to show how many people don't look when backing up... OR driving forward!

Hit.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was she asleep, drunk, or texting?
It was early in the morning and the sun was in her eyes - I was sticking out past the corner in the parking lot parade staging area. I'm sure she did what many do and assumed that nothing would be there.

turnkey

She was reading about the MV truck at todays event....She wanted a closeup of it....So now is is partowner of it...Has some paint on her SUV.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks