• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get my new deuce home?

Little Red

I got a call from the fire dept I bough it from last week and they told me that they had removed the tank, charged the batteries and took it out for a little test drive. It was said to run good but one of the breaks was sticking.
They told me they are going to fix it and I should be able to pick it up this next Thursday.

Seems like I will be able to drive it home without any issues

Thanks for all the good advice

Little Red

Don't forget to inquire on the erdalator body. This link leads you to what one looks like,, scroll down.
Fort Snelling Military Museum - Truck Collection
Thanks for the link and yes I will definitely ask them if they know where the erdalator body is, that would make an awesome camper!
I know they got it about ten years ago and it came to them without the body.
But who knows, maybe it is still sitting somewhere.

41cl8m5

If the main power switch is left on and the air tanks lose pressure (which most do after some time) then the low air busser will go off until the batt's are dead. If thats the case ether recharging or replacing the batt's could fix the no start issue, until the swich is left on again with it not running. It has happened to me only once, In the middle of the night I was wondering what that sound was outside. I thought the M44A2 was the chassis cab?

Last edited:

Little Red

Going to drive her home on Thursday!

I talked to the Fire Dept again and they fixed the sticking brake.
The only thing that does not work on the truck now is the fuel gauge and one of the taillights.
I will just check the tank a couple times during my trip when I take a rest stop and that should not be an issue. The taillight however I would like to fix before driving her home.

Anny idea where I can find a 24v light bulb that will fit?
Also I know it takes DOT 5 brake fluid, does it take regular 10W30 oil?

So my plan is to pick her up early on Thursday morning and I will have all day to drive the 300 mile trip home.

Here is what I am bringing:

- Atlas map and printed directions
- Complete tool kit
- Jack, blocks and pry bar
- Spare brake fluid, engine oil and 3 gallons of water.
- printed service and operational manuals
- 5 gallon can of diesel (just in case since the fuel gauge does not work)
- Trip permit and insurance
- hearing protection, sunglasses
- Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, lunch and drinking water
- ohh and lots of duct tape

Am I forgetting something?

Thanks for the help…

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should take more than 3 gallons of water. Also need a charged cell phone, credit card with high credit limit and a camera.

steelandcanvas

Any idea where I can find a 24v light bulb that will fit?
Also I know it takes DOT 5 brake fluid, does it take regular 10W30 oil?
Thanks for the help…
Any NAPA store ought to be able to hook you up with the bulb.
I use Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo, also available at NAPA however, you might find it somewhat cheaper at Wally-World. Best of luck on your recovery! Remember to take the camera for the "photo impaired" folks here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks