• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to get title?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a M105 trailer off a local and honest guy and I am 100% convinced all is legit, but he can't find the title. Years have passed. I had no problem registering it as an untitled trailer, but I can't register it as a HMV and run plateless with "bumper numbers" without a title. I been running unregistered and or registered and kept the plate in the glove box but I really want to correct this. suggestions?

Sarge

OPCOM, ditto my situation, except I have 4 trailers in the same 'limbo' status. Luckily, we are all in Texas, so I am hoping that you post your follow-up if you manage to get this one sorted out. If I get any of mine legally titled and registered as HMV's, I will be sure to let you know how I accomplished it. I wish I could click on the above URL, but I'm at the Ranch on a dial-up and, oh hell, I just clicked on it. Ahhhh.... wait a minute, that URL is to help you get a certified copy of your title, but the way I understand it, there already has to be a Texas title in the records. Perhaps you can research the missing title with the VIN number, perhaps not. So, maybe the URL will help, maybe not. Flatlander, I'm not knocking your contribution, and I think it's great that people bother to take the time to help each other.
Here's an interesting Texas tidbit, the DMV told me that a trailer that GROSSES under 4000 pounds does not need a title. You just run it (or transfer ownership) using the registration paperwork only. Of course, this does not help you with an M105, unless you register it as 3980 GVW. AH HA !!!! Think about it.

Michael

In Mississippi, if you "rebuild" a trailer you can register it as a new trailer and get a new title for it as homebuilt. Each state is different. You can also get a title bond on vehicles and trailer that have a title problem and get a bonded title that lets you get a tag.

cbvet

I'd like to know more about this running plateless with bumper numbers.
When I first heard about this I asked at the local DMV & they said "Huh?"
Eric
CBVET

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CBVET,

In TX you can run with just bumper #'s and no plates if you qualify... I wish it was like that in other states...

Barrman

Something to complicate things is if the original owner is now dead and/or the vehicle was last titled before 1975 or so.

I have bought several vehicles in the past that hadn't been registered in 30 years and the owner was dead. The heirs couldn't find the titles.

I took a signed heirship form to the tax office and told them the vehicle had been registered way back when, but nobody could find the title. They did a title search under the original owners name. Came up empty because old titles weren't computerized. I had to provide a rubbing of the vin and that was it. I think it cost me something like $70 per title.

I wrote that story to give you an example of how a lost title is not the end of the world. Have them do a title search off the vin. If it comes back as a title they know about, then it should be in the previous owners name. Get the title and have the owner sign it along with a title application. Done.

If it comes back as a title they don't know about. Tell them the vehicle was a registered Texas vehicle but hasn't been licensed since 1970 or so. They will request a rubbing of the vin from you and a few other forms. Fill them out and turn them in. Now would be a great time to add the military vehicle tags/registration to the mix.

They probably won't know what you are talking about. Tell them it is part of the Antique/classic car division. They will want to call the regional office for help. Regional probably won't know what to do either. Austin will get called. Just make sure that they keep saying former military vehicle and antique car division. I spent about 4 hours one day getting my M715 switched over to military vehicle status. You will also need a picture of the front bumper showing the bumper numbers.

By the way, my M35's are going to be a big lost title, original owner dead, military vehilce registered, possible last titled out of state mess. But, I am confident that a picture of the front bumper with numbers, all the right forms and lots of patience will get me a title when I finally go in there to do it.

Something else to keep in mind is this. Military vehicle tags are issued in March every 6 years. They cost $10/year plus a once every 6 year road and bridge fee. If you go register it today, it will cost you around $30 and your tags will expire in March 2008. If you go in April 2008, you tags will be good until 2014 and it will cost you around $80.00.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to take care of it before the OK rally, if possible. The TX cops don't giveit a second look, not sure about OK and don't want a ticket.

doskiez

I have an m105 I bought from arkansas and want to get titled as a Texas trailee but I do not have a title for it and as far as I know it has never had one. I do have a bill of sale and a new title application form but I am wondering if that wwill be suffivient given the weight these things can carry. I may have to register it as a farm trailer to get a title to it. Any ideas?