• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get water out of fuel system?

msoumas

I think my truck has water in the fuel, and as a result is in immediate need of a new filter. It started up and was running strong for a minute before stalling. How do I drain the fuel? Is it that big black screw-looking thing on the top of the filter base?

rmgill

2 Ways, drain the fuel, run it through a filter, flush the tank, drain, dry and refill with the filtered fuel.

I've done this, twice. It's a pain.

I'm looking at building a fuel, filtering kit for pulling fuel from the bottom of the tank and recirculating it. Baciscally a kit with a probe and hoses and a pump and a big filter with a water separater.

wdbtchr

How about adding one of the Wix fuel filter filter like the #53405( I think that is a good #) that has the bottom drain. Put it inline anywhere easily accessed and drain it regularly till the tank is dry.

maritimer

could it also be air gettign into the fuel system? i dunno bout the rest of u guys but i often put my m1009 into situatiosn where i should be gettign water in the fuel and havent right down to my girlfriend taking it swimming. and my water indicator light does work

jeepin

I think the Wix number for a fuel/water separator is 33123 as detailed below:

Part Number: 33123
UPC Number: 765809331235
Principal Application: Chevrolet & GMC Trucks 6.2L Diesel Eng. (82-83); Fuel/Water Separator w/Drain (12 Micron) (If base needed for this filter, use 24309)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Fuel/Water Separator Filter
Service: Fuel
Media: Paper
Height: 6.629
Outer Diameter Top: 3.698
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
Burst Pressure-PSI: 240
Max Flow Rate: 15
Nominal Micron Rating: 12
Note: The kit may be used to convert cartridge type filters to convenience of spin-on or can be added as a supplemental filter for increased dirt removal capacity and water removal.

Suitable for use on any size diesel or gas engine up to 400 H.P. Ideal for passenger cars and small trucks where original filter is too small or does not remove water.

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.444 3.100 0.260

dependable

The old 6.2 filter was 33123, I think, the screw on type, but the cucv primary filter has a water drain at bottom as well. it is supposed to be drained regulary, esp if you are filling with cans or at an old farm tank. Try using it everyday if you suspect your fuel, a few drops will do. If water comes out, let it run till it is diesel. If there is no water you are ok. But if you think you have more than a pint of water in your tank, if it were me I,d hook up a pre primary, even temporarily, Racor filter, with a large visible water capacity. and after a while use a fuel dryer for the residue. The cucv tank is hard to drain , not like a heavy truck tank with a plug and a regular shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks