• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get winch cable through an auto tensioner?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stole the winch off a 936 for my LWB tractor last weekend. Just wondering if there is an easy way to thread the wire rope through the auto tensioner? Do I have to unspool the whole drum?

Would loosening this clevis nut help at all?

IMG_7191.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I know of is to remove one of the 2 pulleys by removing the pin and the keeper and see if that gives you enough slack and room?

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I know of is to remove one of the 2 pulleys by removing the pin and the keeper and see if that gives you enough slack and room?
The tensioner is not wide enough for much other than the cable to fit through. Thanks though!

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to pull out the cable. Good news is you will see the level winder work first hand.
Hah, I was afraid of that. Good to know thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how does the hook end of the wire rope terminate? Guessing its nothing reusable?

camoyj7

I'm not sure on the hook end. Pulling cable was pretty easy. Just an allen bolt holding to drum at the end. Pull the four bolts holding the shield on the top pulley when you feed the cable back. The 5/8 cable isn't very flexible. Once bolted back on drum pull the cable tight add tension with the tensioner then wind it up.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure on the hook end. Pulling cable was pretty easy. Just an allen bolt holding to drum at the end. Pull the four bolts holding the shield on the top pulley when you feed the cable back. The 5/8 cable isn't very flexible. Once bolted back on drum pull the cable tight add tension with the tensioner then wind it up.
Best way is described above; the hook/chain turnbuckle/clevis is almost impossible to loosen. Once that cable is set in there it is best left alone.

Rkrug

When I put mine through I took the chain off and I think I had to take one of the pulleys out, was not to bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks