• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to go about preparing waste oil for use.

Socomike

Hey guys. Noob here. I am exploring the idea of picking up a bobbed deuce with a multi fuel engine. I have a line on an unlimited amount of waste oil. The oil would be coming from my fathers truck stop and would be from semis. I may be able to get it for just under a dollar a gallon.

My question is, how do I go about preparing the oil for use in the deuce? Should I mix it with diesel? Any help here would be appreciated.

houdel

Welcome to the site. We are always happy to have new members join, but topics like this belong in the alternate fuels forum. Check it out, there is plenty of info there on prepping WMO.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Socomike Welcome, God blessed you with an unlimited supply of UEO Used Engine Oil, The link from Atomic should give you a good start. Good 1st post. Should have been in the Alternative Fuels classification though;:beer:

CatMan

Preparing Waste Oil

1. I don't drink used beer.

2. I don't shxx in the same dish I eat out of.

3. And I don't run industrial waste in well engineered, close tolerance machines including diesel engines.

Short of having your own oil refinery in your back yard, you can't filter industrial waste enough to run it as fuel in a diesel engine without asking for trouble - sooner or later. Running waste oil as a diesel engine fuel is false economy. What you save in fuel cost will be paid out later in shortened component life and parts replacement costs.

Cat Man

eagle4g63

Catman: True, running WMO in a diesel is asking for trouble;but...........We aren't running WMO in a DIESEL!!!

We are running WMO in a MULTI-FUEL!!!! Big difference.

Any way.....As wreckerman stated filtering is your best friend, and then just cut it with diesel, gas, kerosene or whatever mix to thin it out a bit so it isn't as thick. I've been running a 80% oil mix and the truck loves it(a little thinner if I am going to be running it at highway speeds seems to do a little better).

P.S. Trans fluid is also thinner than oil so you can use that to also thin(a little-still need some diesel or gas)

Vintage iron

To quote Catman "3. And I don't run industrial waste in well engineered, close tolerance machines including diesel engines."

I am a little lost. Are close tolerance machines suppose to use lubrication? If it can run thought your engine on the inside, it should be filtered enough to burn. another pass though a 10 micron filter won't hurt either!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckerman893 is right, I believe he said: Filter, Filter, Filter. Sounds like a triple filter system made specifically for diesel, waste oil.

I have researched this and what I found is the cats AZZ. Racor Diesel Filtration Triple Manifold w/valves, UL Listed 79/1000MAV. Racor Turbine Series Fuel Filter⁄Water Separators have been protecting engines from water - dirt - foulants - and other contaminants for over 27 years using a patented three-stage process. Flow Rate: 540 GPH - Optional 12 or 24 VDC Instant Heat- Easy-to-change Cartridge Element: 2, 10, and 30 micron- Dimensions: 22.0” H x 12.0” D x 21.5” W

If I had the resources you have with an unlimited supply, I would use this set up as an addition to your current system after the pump and before the nozzle.
Check out the pdf. Peace out.

Attachments

cvh20

I have the double filter system shown above and it works great. I run the oil through a regular oil filter, then through these filters. Only difference is mine each have the clear centerfuge cup on the bottom so you can drain off the water.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That system with all the accessories run a whopping $2,340.00 To rich for my blood but they do make a triple for 1/4 of that and in my humble opinion works just as good. You just have to change stage 1 more often.

Your kidding I hope, the M35A2 Deuce runs fine on filtered used motor oil. Most just thin it with another flammable liquid like gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc. Many have reported that it has even quieted down the engine and that they get the same or close to the same power and MPG. Now the M35A3 is a whole different animal as it has a CAT motor and is more likely to develop problems using WMO as fuel, but there is still people who do it.

1. I don't drink used beer.

2. I don't shxx in the same dish I eat out of.

3. And I don't run industrial waste in well engineered, close tolerance machines including diesel engines.

Short of having your own oil refinery in your back yard, you can't filter industrial waste enough to run it as fuel in a diesel engine without asking for trouble - sooner or later. Running waste oil as a diesel engine fuel is false economy. What you save in fuel cost will be paid out later in shortened component life and parts replacement costs.

Cat Man

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I presently spend $400 per month on fuel..so a six month payback isn't that bad.... I like it. Is this kind of on-board system available from Big Truck salvage yards?

Jakob

I use some bag filters that I ordered from McCaster-Carr and some PVC tubing, cost me about $120 total. The bags are dual, 5 and 1 mic, bags. One pass through those and into the fuel tank. I have ran about 50-60 to date and my mixture is about 75% WMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks