• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to hold flywheel when tightening bolts?

yolner

So I used an impact to get the flywheel bolts off, but I don't want to overtorque them when I reinstall. What do you guys use to keep the flywheel from spinning when you're tightening the bolts?

poof

Dirty Hippie
I used an Lifting type eye bolt.
cheep galvanized one .. screwed it in to one of the holes for the pressure plate in top of fly wheel.
then ran a 3 foot legnth of 1/2 " round stock through it. lines up nice with the floor..fron driver side to passenger side. might have been 24 inch long round stock..
J.P.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have someone put a breaker bar on the damper and hold it while you torque the back, or put the bar on the front, turn the engine to wedge it against the frame or whatever, and torque the rear.

Jones

A small oak (hardwood) wedge between the starter ring gear and the bell housing works good.
Slide it in where the starter flange is and let the rotation draw the wedge into the bellhousing. The wood is good because it'll spread the load across several teeth and won't damage them like something metal would.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks