• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to identify whistler turbo?

Blacksmoke

Installed a turbo on my LD-465-1C a couple of years ago. It surely must be a "whistler" because it has a very loud scream to it but I was just wondering how you can identify the different turbos?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want to know what turbo you have take a close looksee to the compressor side. Check the number on the turbo. The -C whistler is made by Schwitzer and the number on the housing is 3LG319.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I had the number out I just went outside to check the turbo on the wrecker. It never has made much noise but the engine is an LDT465-1C. Why I didn't look closer when the engine was on the trailer I don't know. Imagine my dissapointment when I found that it has the -1D turbo. Drats, guess I'll be turbo hunting now! I guess the big wakeup came when Dave Olchak (N3UKA) showed up yesterday and didn't hear the wrecker running in the side yard. We can't have a wrecker that can't be heard from 250' away!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if I could stand the whistler working with the crane for hours on end when the rpm has to be at about 1,200 to 1,400 for heavier loads.
Yesterday my son walked around the truck when it was running at about 1,000 plus rpm and commented that it sounds like an old airplane engine from a certain angle. Personally, I love the "D".

I will say this, though, the sound of the whistler always brings up memories from the service, guess that's something...kind of like the turboprops of the C-130, never forget that sound.

Blacksmoke

Thanks guys. Yes it is a whistler. What makes the D turbo so much quieter, the larger size or the shape of the vanes? I picked my daughter up at school this week in the deuce & she said she heard me coming before she even saw the truck. I got to drive deuces occasionally in the AF & they all sounded exactly the same way. It is one of those sounds that you never forget.

M215

ID turbo

Hello,
The whistler C-turbo is smaller and the two halfs are held together by a clamp, simular to an exhust clamp. The D-turbo is a little larger and the two halfs are bolted together. Changed several out from D to C to get the whistle, no differance in power.
Hope this helps.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure Robert, I'll swap. I'm going to recover another turbo tomorrow. Its a Schwitzer but I can't find the 3LG319 on it. Either way I'm going to install it on my truck and remove the mute turbo. I'll get it flushed out best as I can and get it up to you!

ida34

cranetruck said:
I will say this, though, the sound of the whistler always brings up memories from the service, guess that's something...kind of like the turboprops of the C-130, never forget that sound.
I'll never forget the whistle of the C and the bang of the 155mm m198 howitzer. I think everyone should be able to pull the tail on that pig. When one would fire a cherry to the gun line would jump when the boom hit them. We could sleep through a fire mission.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, who makes the "D" muted turbos? Are they too made by Schwitzer? I don't have an answer for that one!

Jones

Larger turbine housing makes for lower air velocities and shaft RPMs through the turbine and compressor sides. Small housings get the charge air and exhaust gas speeds up around supersonic and along with blade tip speed, all that air through small openings makes for the whistle. As a general rule; all "whistler" turbos look way too small for the application.

BigWheelBob

I finally got my first whistler on the last truck I bought in South Carolina. WOW, what a difference. Every time I turn around, one of my buddys is out in the yard firing that thing up.

Armada

I've got the C-turbo Kenny, and I'm 99.9 % sure it doesn't say schwitzer or 3LG319 on it, but that baby whistles. It was much smaller than the D I took off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks