• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to lock up / secure a M35 A3 ?

338ken

I drove 2,900 mile round trip and bought really nice M35 A3, no ignition key of course how can you secure it ? Saw locking disconnects but that would have to be in a secured compartment. I was told you can buy locking door handles too. I I am 64 and wanted one as long as I can remember, finally got one. Thought I would ask the pros here. I searched and did not find a thread for this. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I drove 2,900 mile round trip and bought really nice M35 A3, no ignition key of course how can you secure it ? Saw locking disconnects but that would have to be in a secured compartment. I was told you can buy locking door handles too. I I am 64 and wanted one as long as I can remember, finally got one. Thought I would ask the pros here. I searched and did not find a thread for this. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Most trucks used a lock and chain. Chain goes through the steering wheel and loops around the brake peddle. Some outfits have a chain welded to the seat base and chain goes around the wheel as well...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a length of 3/8" Grade 100 steel chain with one end welded to the seat frame between the drivers and passenger seats. I loop the other end through the steering wheel with an extremely hardened padlock.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!

You'll probably find a section of chain bolted or welded somewhere around the drivers seat, this is for the simple method of chaining your steering wheel with a padlock.
I've heard good things about locking door handles, but haven't tried them myself. On M35s and M813s, I can swing around the mirror, lean on the fender and reach inside through the unsecured front windshield to flip the drivers door handle down. That is, of course, a short term way of keeping idle coonfingerers out of your vehicle, not real security. But most folk don't know the front windshields open.

What part of Texas?

Cheers

PS - the quicker folks posted while I was hunt-n-peck typing!

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the group, and congrats on your acquisition!

There is so much information amongst the pages and members here. I've found that changing your search phrases often yield different results and help find what I'm looking for.

My M35A2 has the chain welded to the steering column, as was mentioned previously. It's not in my way, and it's easy to lock with a hardened lock. I haven't installed it yet, but have a battery disconnect switch that I'm going to install in a locked compartment. There are several threads on similar approaches. My grandfather had a saying that I constantly have to remember... "Locks keep the honest people honest. If someone wants something badly enough, they're going to get it." My opinion is that you can make something difficult enough that they will either not bother, or they lose heart and give up. Hopefully they give up before doing damage.

HDN

I do the battery thing, who would want to steal one of these things anyway, they are a lot of work and they suck up a lot of money.
If someone's dumb enough to try and steal something they're also not smart enough to think things through :p

My truck has the security chain welded to the seat base and I use a good padlock with it that has a weather cover for the key hole.

canadacountry

I too had thought that if I eventually end up with a M35/M36 I would too had simply hide a heavy-duty disconnect somewhere well out of view (in the boot area underneath dashboard is a little too 'obvious' to me but mm) and leave it at that. plus just to top that off on my engine belt there'll very likely be only one small round thing with wires coming out of it instead of two so anyone thinking they could try a direct hotwire are going to have to give up because an alternator itself in seriousness likely isn't ever going to be able to kick over - and what kind of walk-by thief would even have an airhose splicing kit on hand? ;-)

on a side note a certain book I quite like myself in name of https://dogtrainersbible.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/book3_cover_600x840.png had the author actually quoting basically that a trabant has a passive anti-thief measure in name of that very few people these days now would even know how to correctly get it into gear! its a column 4-speed manual on nearly all of them, and if that was not all a good number of them still have unsynchronized transmissions so you have another thing to remember in name of doubleclutching it

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A hidden disconect switch View attachment 914043
A whole lot of this here....

I have locking door handles on my 5 ton (I keep the windshields locked and have a hard top, so that isn't an issue) but I also have a hidden master kill switch. Steering wheels, chains and locks can be cut, but if you can't get power, you aren't going anywhere.

Obviously you want to hide the switch in a place that isn't easily accessible and don't tell anyone about it.

Nothing screams LOOK IN HERE more than a locked compartment.

Maybe at the back of your map box? The 5 ton doesn't have one on the dash, so obviously I had to go elsewhere.

Another thought on the locking door handles... the ones I bought CANNOT be opened without the key. Simply pulling up on the door handle no longer works.

Guyfang

Staff member
I too had thought that if I eventually end up with a M35/M36 I would too had simply hide a heavy-duty disconnect somewhere well out of view (in the boot area underneath dashboard is a little too 'obvious' to me but mm) and leave it at that. plus just to top that off on my engine belt there'll very likely be only one small round thing with wires coming out of it instead of two so anyone thinking they could try a direct hotwire are going to have to give up because an alternator itself in seriousness likely isn't ever going to be able to kick over - and what kind of walk-by thief would even have an airhose splicing kit on hand? ;-)

on a side note a certain book I quite like myself in name of https://dogtrainersbible.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/book3_cover_600x840.png had the author actually quoting basically that a trabant has a passive anti-thief measure in name of that very few people these days now would even know how to correctly get it into gear! its a column 4-speed manual on nearly all of them, and if that was not all a good number of them still have unsynchronized transmissions so you have another thing to remember in name of doubleclutching it

You have never lived, until you have driven a Trabbi!!

338ken

A whole lot of this here....

I have locking door handles on my 5 ton (I keep the windshields locked and have a hard top, so that isn't an issue) but I also have a hidden master kill switch. Steering wheels, chains and locks can be cut, but if you can't get power, you aren't going anywhere.

Obviously you want to hide the switch in a place that isn't easily accessible and don't tell anyone about it.

Nothing screams LOOK IN HERE more than a locked compartment.

Maybe at the back of your map box? The 5 ton doesn't have one on the dash, so obviously I had to go elsewhere.

Another thought on the locking door handles... the ones I bought CANNOT be opened without the key. Simply pulling up on the door handle no longer works.
So you have to use a key everytime, you cannot unlock them ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks