• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

tcody

I was trying to figure out a reasonable way to make a M911 do closer to 55MPH. It looks like the rear differential is a Eaton DP-650 which can be a two speed unit in lighter applications. Is it possible to replace the differential with one that has the sliding sun gear to give you both a 4.55 and a 6.21 ratio? What about the front axle? What are some other alternatives?

NEIOWA

Just stick to 47mph. That's the designed speed and how much $ is it worth blowing. Rods thru the side on the 8V92 are expensive.

tcody

That's no fun - it would take a day just to come up and pay ya a visit - and we are in the same state!

halftrack

tcody said:
I was trying to figure out a reasonable way to make a M911 do closer to 55MPH. It looks like the rear differential is a Eaton DP-650 which can be a two speed unit in lighter applications. Is it possible to replace the differential with one that has the sliding sun gear to give you both a 4.55 and a 6.21 ratio? What about the front axle? What are some other alternatives?
With all do respect, why own a military vehicle then?

tcody

Because they are meant to be driven. If it is your contention that you should not modify a MV, then I think you would find a few on this site that would not agree with you.

Cdub

I don't know if I would really want to exceed the recommended speed in my five ton either.........even at 60-65, you are curzzz'n.....!!

these trucks are really not ment for Hwy speeds.......my point is, I'm sure you could make them go faster....but would you really want to...??

Cheers,

C'dub

tcody

Sorry for posting this request for help. Oshkosh did produce the M911 for civilian use and a company I used in Minnesota for heavy hauling had one that was geared to run 55. If no one is interested in helping but just want's to shoot off your F*(*^&6 opinions then don't post.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a lot of people say buy a civy truck to go fast. And that military truck is designed for slow speeds. I like the look and toughness of a military truck, and don't want to take all day to get somewhere. I've got my deuce up to 60 mph, and plan for another 5 mph.

47 to 55 isn't that much. I'm sure if the brakes are designed to stop 120,000 pounds, they can stop a M911 at 55 mph. Can't help you as to how to do it.

Dennis

Knucklehead

Hey man,said in a friendly way, the civilian version was similar but was speced out differently. It was lighter and had higher, lower numerically, gearing in the axles. Depending on how much money you have to spend you could change the axle gearing or run a larger diameter tire. Even a few inches increase will raise the final drive ratio. If you went this route I would stick with the narrowest tread that you could find, a high aspect ratio. Big fat tires equal increased rolling resistance and that requires more horsepowerto get them rolling. Too wide a tire may negate any increase you gained with the hight increase. I know the M911 has extremely large tires on it now but there are bigger ones out there. Also don't let yourself get so upset at some of the posters. When I put a picture of my red and blue 5T on here I got a ton of PMs telling me every thing from the truck was ruined, I had sinned, I should be killed and I was a ******. Water off a ducks back man.

Modify as you see fit is the way i see it. when other folks start buying trucks for me then they can dictate what happens to them. I dont like it when rare trucks get modified but if its not mine i have no say. I have a XM819 that does 75MPH + and i love it. I can actully pass some vehicles! :D No really, do what you want and enjoy it. the 911 is a awesome piece.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Get an M747 load an M1 tank on it and head to the top of a 9% grade of several miles put the truck in Angel Gear and it will go faster and save you fuel...... just kidding we lost a driver in one on a grade in Gagetown Canada so be careful exceeding the maximum highway speed without an engineer certifing it for higher speeds.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tcody said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but my impression of your question is, can you have two speed rear ends in a multi-drive axel vehicle. I don't think so - they would never shift at the same time under the best of conditions. At other times, you would end up with three axels with one stuck in the wrong gear. Things would go down hill from there. Axel gearing is very expensive.

Lee in Alaska

bottleworks

rosco said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but my impression of your question is, can you have two speed rear ends in a multi-drive axel vehicle. I don't think so - they would never shift at the same time under the best of conditions.
Finally, an on topic post to this question. Lee has a great point. In this case, it would be best to keep the axles stock. You need to look at transmission or xfer case modifications for better speed.

This is suppose to be a technical forum! It seems some feel your truck is theirs. :roll: Good luck with your modifications and improvements.

n1bnc

RE: Re: How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

Another point of thought, I don't ever recall seeing a 2pd rear diff on a civvy truck say an older chevy/ford/chrysler 60 series with a live front axle either. The thought of getting the axles together while under power or even with the clutch depressed would be very worrisome.

The notion itself, techonology aside,would be a wonderful thing, and with the addition of a low range would give one an excellent crawl ratio.

beaubeau

RE: Re: How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

The best way and least expensive way to get more speed is to add an Auxillary trans,LO, Direct,and OVERDRIVE. Adds to the rear of UR trans. But remember the steering may do FUNNY things at Higher speeds. Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks