• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

n1bnc said:
Another point of thought, I don't ever recall seeing a 2pd rear diff on a civvy truck say an older chevy/ford/chrysler 60 series with a live front axle either. The thought of getting the axles together while under power or even with the clutch depressed would be very worrisome.

The notion itself, techonology aside,would be a wonderful thing, and with the addition of a low range would give one an excellent crawl ratio.
A lot of "heavy haul" trucks you see running up and down the road have 2-speed rears. They are mostly for lowering the gearing to take off with heavy loads and off road use.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

Sorry I posted the joke about the speed, I have had a lot of M911 experience being an Army transporter and the truck is just geared to move a 60 ton tank. Getting that load going faster than 45 on anything but a train would be very dangerous. I agree that the transmission is where you would want to mod this truck perhaps a tailshaft overdrive is available. I drove split rear dump trucks for a while but they were all single screw trucks and did not have a driven front axle.

jasonjc

Re: RE: Re: How to make a M911 do highway speeds?

m16ty said:
n1bnc said:
Another point of thought, I don't ever recall seeing a 2pd rear diff on a civvy truck say an older chevy/ford/chrysler 60 series with a live front axle either. The thought of getting the axles together while under power or even with the clutch depressed would be very worrisome.

The notion itself, techonology aside,would be a wonderful thing, and with the addition of a low range would give one an excellent crawl ratio.
A lot of "heavy haul" trucks you see running up and down the road have 2-speed rears. They are mostly for lowering the gearing to take off with heavy loads and off road use.
How do you get all "3" of the 2-speed rears to shift at the same time?????????

1ton

I know of several lowboy truck running two speed 52,000 lb rears. I have even seen on that had oil coolers on both axles! Shifting the rear axles is done by air solenoids. To shift the axle you push in the clutch and activate the solenoids, by the time the transmission gears have been changed to match the new axle ratio they have shifted over. My dads friend has a old Mack with twin sticks and 2 speed axle, can you say happy hands? It might be easier and cheaper to install a 4 speed aux transmission, if you do that get get one with a power tower so you can use your main trans to change the line speed of the winches, unless they are hydraulic, i can't remember.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks