• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make drivers seat more comfortable

Third From Texas

Any of a number of take-off or aftermarket seats can be modified to fit.

I found a pair of new/take-off second row minivan seats for $50 locally.

Resized_20210712_160517.jpeg

BAE did eventually address the "sitting on a brick wall seat" issue. The original S&S seats had a metal plate at the base of the foam (any bump, you make contact).

8ce8d7fa-78bd-4515-b181-cee91f140cf6.jpg

BAE removed the plate in the A1R versions to allow the seats to function more as a suspension seat.

If you are looking to keep the OEM military theme, look for A1R seats (rare, but often swapped out for custom installs so they are out there)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1P2 seats are even better than A1R seats. The armored cab trucks have 4 point (really late models are now 5 point) harness seats made by Mastercraft Defense.

They do sell these on the civilian side also for Jeeps, etc. Summit Racing carries them or did till recently.

They come up surplus now and then also. The gunner seat folds up and so mounts to the back wall of the armored cab. I haven't got around to mounting that yet.

PXL_20230625_024239782.jpg

PXL_20230625_040047370.jpg

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1P2 seats are even better than A1R seats. The armored cab trucks have 4 point (really late models are now 5 point) harness seats made by Mastercraft Defense.

They do sell these on the civilian side also for Jeeps, etc. Summit Racing carries them or did till recently.

They come up surplus now and then also. The gunner seat folds up and so mounts to the back wall of the armored cab. I haven't got around to mounting that yet.

View attachment 903844

View attachment 903845
I’d really like to see that fold up seat and how it mounts. It is the solution I’ve been looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, have a Stewart and Stevenson m1088a1. Driver seat gets pretty uncomfortable after spending hours in it. What have you guys done to make it more bearable? Air ride, cushion, etc. Thanks!
If you can find a Bostrom LTSS low profile air ride seats those do fit I've seen an fmtv fitted with those. A popular option is seats from the Chrysler Pacifica which are commonly used as handicap vehicles and commonly have seats for sale. Midwest military equipment sells adapter seat brackets and seats also. I happen to make my own custom seat bracket I have seats out of a Chrysler Town and country they're a little bit bulky but they fit and they're comfortable.IMG_20221204_123923.jpg

Third From Texas

if you go offroad..... then get something with good side seat bolsters to limit bebopping side to side. Your spine will thank you and you will be less tired on such drives
True, but...it's a bit of a personal taste (and highly dependent on just how radically you intend to " send it" with your RV/big rig. While a little bolster is certainly good, too much can be limiting.

IMO, these trucks are enough of a climb to get in/out of with just cushy flat seats. Before I install my Pacifica seats, I tried a couple different suspension seats that I have with tall bolstered sides (Mastercraft buckets and an older set from another Baja car) and IMO they just made it harder to get into the seat at the end of the climb up. It was just uncomfortable to me, ymmv.

At the end of the day, I'm building an overland camper. I won't be jumping it or going fast enough that lateral sliding in the seat will be a concern. To me the bolsters just felt more confining the longer I tested them on the highway (and honestly, I spend as much or more time on the highway as I do off road). And when I am off road, I'm more crawler than trophy truck (especially with all that crap potentially bouncing around in the habitat).

I admit that I am biased. On long rad trips I like to adjust my position a LOT. Bolsters (at least like on my race car seats) would just feel far to restrictive. Mastercraft makes reclining seats with less obtrusive bolsters (I think that's what General Disorder has). But their buckets with the deep bolsters just didn't cut it for me (thus they are back in the Baja car).

I guess it's kinda like armrests. Some people have to have them, some hate them.

ymmv

One word of advices, though. If you install non-OEM seats, be sure to use the OEM seatbelts. Being bolted to the floor, they'll help keep you in place in a impact. If you were to strap in to the seat itself...and say a bracket or bolt fails...they may find you strapped into the seat still. It just may not be in the truck....

232643295_10160114245238606_1036881309390483890_n.jpg

Last edited:

coachgeo

IMO, these trucks are enough of a climb to get in/out of with just cushy flat seats. Before I install my Pacifica seats, I tried a couple different suspension seats that I have with tall bolstered ..... made it harder to get into the seat at the end of the climb up. It was just uncomfortable to me, ymmv.
Excellent points. Luckly for me ... same reason needing lot of bolster allows me to slip by them in mounting the cab.... am skinny lol. Being pretty much a life long gymnast helps too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks