• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to mod engine can to test engine.

superburban

I had to do a little bit of modifying to my HMMWV engine cans to be able to start the engines in the shipping container. First, I lifted up the back of the engine by prying with a long 2x6, then I shoved a pile of blocks under the oil pan to support the engine while I removed the rear bracket. Once removed, I welded two extra angle iron pieces on either side of the original vertical peice, then I cut out a circle about 3" in diameter, where the starter cone would interfer with the brace.

Here are the before and after pics:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, once you establish what you need to know about one engine, you can take the modded mount from can to can rather than build 4 of them, unless you want to do 4 of them!

superburban

Now, once you establish what you need to know about one engine, you can take the modded mount from can to can rather than build 4 of them, unless you want to do 4 of them!
Yup! that's the plan. I dont see the need to mod each one.

Thanks for the help on doing this, 4x4.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Or, you could do it the easy way. I could have sworn we posted this already. Just weld an angle bracket to the back of the motor support and use spacers to the block.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good idea Gimp. I have to find a decent source for that virgin steel you folks use. Does Woodshole research labs know you guys have been taking angle iron from the Titanic crash site?

superburban

Here's some video of me test firing a 6.5 in the can:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAeJtO1YFk&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hd_hZG7q1g&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aGeMKWVrU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/media]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats a good idea Gimp. I have to find a decent source for that virgin steel you folks use. Does Woodshole research labs know you guys have been taking angle iron from the Titanic crash site?

Well Kenny, as much work as we do at Kip's farm, he has limited resources up there. Have to make do with what you got kinda thing.

He is especially lacking between the ears!

superburban

Congrats on a good engine!

How did you loop the oil cooler lines?
I removed one of the compression fittings from the block, took it to a hose shop, and had them make a 12" hydraulic hose with the female fitting on either end. It cost me like $23 at EVCO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks