• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to mount 395's on a stock rim?

jdknech

I know your not really suppose to do this, but i have 6 395/85r20 Michelin xml's i need to mount.... i have tried everything i can think of to get the tire pushed down far enough to get the lock ring on! aua
so any ideas? :confused:

ccequipment

I figured you wouldn't get them mounted in one day its alot of work. I still have those nice wheels yet, I bet they are sounding nicer all the time;-)

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
We have taken a set of forks on a loader and spread them apart so they fit over the rim and pushed down.Be CAREFUL airing them up we leave the forks over them while airing them up or put chains through the rims.Stand back while airing them up,those lock rings are dangerous.

UpstateNYer

You do have the rim sitting on a bucket or another rim , right?... something so the tire sags down under its own weight. The guy that mounted mine couldn't have weighed more than 150#, becareful you don't pinch the tube.

baxter

I struggled also but as stated above get the rim up off the ground so the tire sags on its own. Use plenty of lube and stand right on top to install the ring. I also used chains then hid behind the truck 50' away to air it up all went smooth but is alot of back breaking work. Good luck.

AZDeuce

When I installed mine, I put the rim on top off an older rim with a piece of old carpet between them, then I stuck short pieces of 4x4 every 90 degrees under the tire, so I could walk on the tire, and kick the ring back on the rim.

Make sure you wire brush, media blast, or chip away any dirt, scale, rust off of the locking ring, and rims mating ridge, and you will not have any problems with the locking ring coming off, if it's on all the way. STILL, as a caution I use a long hose with one of those clamp on air chucks, and plug the line 50 feet away back at the compressor.

Have never had one come apart, and since I clean them, I "PROBABLY" never will, BUT I still show them some respect and keep a safe distance away when airing them up. NEVER hold the air chuck to the valve by hand!

jdknech

thanks guys for all the help, my next day off from work is sunday, so i'm gunna try again then! i did set the rim up on another rim, but it was also 35 degrees out side and that might have kept the sidewalls from flexing?

baxter

JD do you have any problems at higher speeds mine wanders at high speed over 40mph. what air pressure are you running. I want to add that everything was fine until I installed the new tires . I wonder if thier was a problem and the larger tires just amplified it?

Last edited:

jdknech

baxter- i think thats normal... mine wanders also, i am gunna mess with the pressures and see if it makes a difference.... i'm running 80psi right now.

lildeuce- there the best thing u could do to improve your deuce! it makes it ride ALOT better, plus I like doing 70+ mph:evil: lol

atvcat33

i made a machine, that looks like a confined space winch set up on a tri pod, and let the winch to all the work and can put a tire on rim and air up in about 10 minutes, not even break a sweat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks