• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to Mount Civilian Batteries

AmericanHaole

I tried to search in the forum to find out how my friends are mounting civi batteries. (There is one thread called "M1008 battery tie downs" but the posts are purged.)

I have a M1009 with new batteries 11" x 7" x 8" and have to create a proper mount for them.

Can you give me typical solutions, out of the box solutions, and pics to demo your work? (This thread is for any civi battery, not just the dimensions shown above.) Thanks a bunch.

nopics

BIG_RED

My M1009 just has civilian batteries in the Military battery trays. They are centered and the top plate just holds them in by friction. Those sound like aweful small batteries to me. How many cranking amps do those have? I think my batteries are group 35's and I know they are 1100 Cranking amps.

Hey i will take pictures of what i did it might give u a start maybe u can improve them.What i did was i bought the generic batterry bracket like the one pictured at autozone advance and used threaded rod with wing nuts to secure my battery in my m1008 the same way they did however my threaded rods are straight up and down so far so good im gonna build a better box out of angle iron eventually good luck any more questions please ask :]

PS PICTURE isnt mine i just posted to give u an idea

Attachments

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut pieces of wood to sit my batteries on in the stock trays.
I haven't owned a CUCV, but with my deuces I did the same - cut blocks of wood the right size and shape and it took up the rest of the room okay. I'm sure there was a little wiggle but the top bracket made sure the batteries weren't going anywhere.

I took some 1.25" angle and bent it around 2 civi batteries and than welded it together to make a tray... Bolted it to the front exisiting tray.. and with a piece of flat stock and the exisitng all thread made a tie down bracket... placing both batteries on the one tray... its a little tight.. but it works great.. opening up plenty of room on the p side... will post pics.. if needed, later today....

AmericanHaole

My M1009 just has civilian batteries in the Military battery trays. They are centered and the top plate just holds them in by friction. Those sound like aweful small batteries to me. How many cranking amps do those have? I think my batteries are group 35's and I know they are 1100 Cranking amps.
BigRed, the batteries do look small, they have about 800 cca. They are AGM batteries that have a good deep cycle.

Just clarify i thought about those tabs when i was putting my batteries in i bent the tabs all down so i wouldnt have to worry about that :mrgreen: though i have thought about civiy battery hold downs i like the piece with the 13 mm bolt that holds the battery down seems like a safer mount anyways

NEWFDAD

I run group 31 batteries in my rigs! The tabs are set up to fit them, all you need to do is move one of the threaded rods over. There is even a hole already there for it!

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They need to sit on something. The little tabs in the trays can rub through and drain a cell. Had it happen. I built a tray out of pine scrap I had on hand. Each is in a tray,then in the pine, and strapped down.
Same here, tray>battery>two pieces of wood as spacers>top battery hold-down...

AmericanHaole

Battery temperature and wood

Thanks for the input, friends. [thumbzup]

I was concerned about the heat disipation of the batteries next to wood. Could wood adjacent to the battery cause problems under heavy battery load or improper charging issue ? ? ?

Also, is it okay to have touching batteries to put on one tray?

Last edited:

AmericanHaole

Just use one of the optima 6TL battery tray adapters.:jumpin:
HENDERSONJ: I never knew a tray adapter existed. A cursory internet search brought up a tray for Optima batteries. Was this what you were talking about? I don't know if these are adaptable to other civi batteries. Do you know if it works with other battery types or are there other trays I didn't find?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HENDERSONJ: I never knew a tray adapter existed. A cursory internet search brought up a tray for Optima batteries. Was this what you were talking about? I don't know if these are adaptable to other civi batteries. Do you know if it works with other battery types or are there other trays I didn't find?
I don't know if they will work with others, but they are great with optimas!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks